Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help with 1991 auto trans problem!

I just purchased a 91 Legacy wagon that lightly ran into the back end of a pick-up truck, damaging the hood, headlights, radiator and core support. The core support was pushed back approx 2-3 inches. I went to put the car on a trailer, but it couldn't make it up the incline under it's own power. All fluids are good. It feels as if it's stuck in 3rd gear, reverse works fine with plenty of power. I've never owned one of these cars, and was wondering how to pull the transmission trouble codes. Also, where is the transmission control module located, and are the expensive to replace? I think the police towed the car from the accident site about 40 miles with the drive shaft connected. Where is the AT inhibitor module located, and how can it be tested. Also where is the electronic control unit for the AT located.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Instructions to pull the trans codes are on my site under the notes & tips section, trans related.

TCU can be seen in this pic

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ecuhide.jpg

Did they tow the car with all four wheels off the ground? If not, the transmission probably got toasted.

The AT inhibitor is in the transmission itself.