Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, here's the deal. I always heard Subarus run for ever, and my daughters car just died, so I bought a 1992 legacy wagon with 235000 miles on it. It runs like a swiss watch and is in all around good to great shape. The only thing I can find wrong with it is oil appearing to be leaking from the timing belt covers. So my questions are in no special order! What is a good book for a service manual? Are seals a big deal to change or do I have a different problem? If a timing belt breaks am I going to take out the valves or worse? Or is there enough valve clearance with the pistons?

IF ITS A 2.2 LITRE IT IS A NON INTERFERENCE ENGINE...

CRANK AND CAM SEALS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE LAST TIME TIMING BELT WAS DONE (EVERY 100000) OIL IS PROBABLY COMING FROM CAM OR CRANK SEAL....NOT TOO HARD TO DO

Ok, here's the deal. I always heard Subarus run for ever, and my daughters car just died, so I bought a 1992 legacy wagon with 235000 miles on it. It runs like a swiss watch and is in all around good to great shape. The only thing I can find wrong with it is oil appearing to be leaking from the timing belt covers. So my questions are in no special order! What is a good book for a service manual? Are seals a big deal to change or do I have a different problem? If a timing belt breaks am I going to take out the valves or worse? Or is there enough valve clearance with the pistons?

If you are getting in there to replace the seals, be sure to replace the o-ring in the oil pump and re-seal that. I have found it's easier to remove the oil pump with the crank seal still installed than to pry the seal out before removing the oil pump. You can do all this with the engine in the car, and you won't destroy anything if the timing belt breaks. You will just be stranded.

I recommend the Haynes manual over chilton.

PS the easiest way to get the crank pulley bolt off is to put a large pry bar on it and secure that against the body of the car (driver side). Then crank (but don't start) the engine.

Thanks, I took the covers off and looked at the belts. They look new and I couldn't see any oil on them or leaking from the cam gears. So I am not going to worry about it to much right now. The kid goes off to school the end of August them it will be my work car and I'll fix it then. Thanks for the help!You Subaru guys are alright!

Rob