Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently traded in my 2001 L Wagon for a new Legacy GT Turbo Limited Sedan. This is my first turbo and many have told me to break it in (rpms under 4,000) to 1500 or 2500 miles. My friend with an STI said 2500 if you I can. Is there a difference in waiting to 2500 miles? Secondly many have said to get synthetic oil. If so does anyone have suggestions for the best oil and weight. I live in Denver and it's warm here most of the year, regardless of what the weather channel says. Any suggestions for the best maintenance and oil would be great, thanks...

The longer you avoid going over 4k the better in theory for the engine. Ideally, if you go for 300k without going over 4k you'll have a gloriously new engine compared to most others.

My dealer recommended synthetic only after 10k on the car. Mobil 1 is the best independent lab verified stuff on the market plus it is fairly available and not overly expensive. Sure redline and others may be good but where's the data to back it up from someone other than their pr department. Use what Subaru says to use 5w 30 I'm guessing.