Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

help spark plug promblem 91 loyale wagon

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dunkinman

dunkinman

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • chicopee

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:17 AM

i was giving my car its first tuneup well that
was a big mistake. when i pulled the last spark plug out i noticed that the plug was different from the others it was bigger than the other ones i thought i was losing it but sure enough it was. i came to conclusion that someone must have broke a plug before and drilled it out and tap it with new threads
also i forgot to tell you that when i pulled that last plug there was some kind of rubber on it like gasket sealer maybe
so i put the old plug back in but the car wont start.

can anyone shed any light on this promblem
please help.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:49 AM

You may have inadvertantly disconnected something while working under the hood. To see if the ignition is working use an old spark plug or remove one from the cylinder and place it on a good engine ground point. Then try starting the car and watch for spark on the plug. If you do have spark, is there a possibility you could have mixed up the firing order of the wires?

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,441 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:18 AM

#1 cylinder is hte front piston on the passenger side.

firing order is 1-3-4-2 rotation is counterclockwise, #1 on the cap is the one towards the back to the right of the clip/screw, and in the general direction of the brake master cylinder

hope this helps maybe you got some wires backwards. dont forget to connect the coil wire!

#4 dunkinman

dunkinman

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • chicopee

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

firing order is 1-3-4-2 rotation is counterclockwise, #1 on the cap is the one towards the back to the right of the clip/screw, and in the general direction of the brake master cylinder

hope this helps maybe you got some wires backwards. dont fo0rget to connect the coil wire!

you dont have a piture of fire order do you or can you explain fire order in more detail

#5 dunkinman

dunkinman

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • chicopee

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

You may have inadvertantly disconnected something while working under the hood. To see if the ignition is working use an old spark plug or remove one from the cylinder and place it on a good engine ground point. Then try starting the car and watch for spark on the plug. If you do have spark, is there a possibility you could have mixed up the firing order of the wires?

yes i tried your test and i do have spark on all wires but it still wont start

#6 dunkinman

dunkinman

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • chicopee

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:16 PM

hope this helps maybe you got some wires backwards. dont forget to connect the coil wire!

do you know the fire order on the block ?

#7 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:31 PM

Firing order is 1-3-4-2 as was mentioned. The cylinders on the passenger side are 1 and 3 from front to back of the engine. The others are 2 and 4 respectively.

On the wires for my '88 the numbers for the positions were labled on the wires. Not sure if you have that on yours or not. If they have been changed then they won't be marked.

#8 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:02 PM

We may have made a mistake in the firing order. I think it is 1-3-2-4 and not 1-3-4-2. Sorry. Can somone verify this?

#9 EYE_WHY

EYE_WHY

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Bangor

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:09 PM

The manual from my '94 Loyale wagon states the firing order is 1-3-2-4. Hope this helps.

#10 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:32 PM

E Y is correct

think of two boxers facing each other

first one (pass side head) throws two punches leading with his right

other counters

obviously
leading with his left
into the open court

hope this helps

#11 EYE_WHY

EYE_WHY

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Bangor

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

Haha, good way to think of it Skip!!

#12 Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hello..

THE ORDER IS : 1-3-2-4
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kimie/Mis%20documentos/subaruLegacy/Wires%20Order.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users