Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2000 Outback Wagon 4 cyl auto problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ohzee00

ohzee00

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:11 AM

So like an idiot I drained my atf thinking it was the oil. After the car would not shift I figured out what I did. Note I did not drive the car after draining all the atf as it wouldnt go anywhere. So I then fill up the Auto tranny fluid with correct type and all is well. Now tho I have a atf leak that I can not see where it's coming from. My ? is it possible I might have caused something to come loose trying to shift w/no fluid in there ? Next week Im going to take it into the shop when I get a loaner vehicle. Right now its sitting in my garage but with all the good info on this board I figured I would ask around.

Thanks

#2 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

Wow.

I have a stupid question: So, how much ATF did you drain out, and how much did you put back in? Exact same amount? Or do you think you may have overfilled it?

Steve

#3 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,639 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

If you haven't overfilled it, you shouldn't have caused a leak by doing what you did.

Just an FYI. To properly check the fluid level, the trans needs to be brought up to normal operating temp. Park the car on a level surface, slowly move the gear selector from Park to 1, and then back to Park. Leave the car running, and then check the fluid level of the transmission.

#4 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,917 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

Is it by chance leaking at the drain plug? The plug requires a new(?) crush washer which is the same type crush washer as on the oil drain plug.

#5 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

Check the drain plug and washer.

Sometimes spilling ATF is unavoidable filling through that tiny dipstick tube. I spilled some on my wife's car and it managed to coat a bunch of stuff and kept "leaking" for a week until I got tired and just sprayed engine degreaser all over it and hosed it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users