Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can I dissarm alarm using key only?

Concerning my 98 OBW with a factory-installed alarm:

I'm pretty sure this topic has been gone over a number of times, but I tend to be slow to catch on. Problem: My wife goes to the local Wal*Mart, and lockes the car with her remote as usual. Coming out with a cartfull, her remote does not unlock the door, nor dissarm the alarm. She remembers that her keys got drenched in a deluge earlier in the day, and assumes the remote is shot. So, she unlocks the driver's door with her key, opens it, and sets off the alarm. The alarm blares unceasingly, gathering stares. Thankfully, no local hero tackled her and placed her under citizen's arrest; I guess a young pregnant second grade teacher does not fit the profile of a car thief.

Anyway.

She called me and asked what to do. I told her to disconnect the negative terminal, and I'd come up with my remote. In frustration, she banged her remote on the roof rack, tried it again, and it worked.

What if it didn't start working again? According to my owner's manual, I should be able to dissarm the alarm with the key alone, but have not been able to do it. Is it something I can fix, or do I resort to banging the remote on the roof rack in frustration?

Peace,

With an amount of tinkering, I got it figured out. I unlock driver's door, open door (alarm sounds), turn ignition to ON, push under-dash button once, alarm dissarms.

Very nice to know in case the remote quits or gets lost.

Thanks for the leads.

Peace,