Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pump Replacement, No Pressure! 96 Legacy 2.2

Hi everyone, my son and I just finished replacing timing belt, water pump, oil pump O Ring seal, cam and crank seals on his 1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2. We took the oil pump apart and reassembled. We started it up this afternoon and it ran like a champ. However, there appears to be no oil pressure. The idiot light is on and when I took the oil filter off, it's dry. We ran it for about 3 minutes. Can someone tell me how long it takes for the oil pressure to come up?? Thanks! Jack

Hi, I didn't fill the oil filter. I looked over the oil pump diagram and went over our assembly procedure. I can't think of any mistakes. I guess I'll tear it back down tomorrow morning and see what we screwed up.

No more than a few seconds, especially if you fill the filter first.

This doesn't sound good. Are you sure you didn't block an channel on reassembly?

I figured out the problem ~ pretty stupid! I put the pressure relief valve in backwards.

Hi, I didn't fill the oil filter. I looked over the oil pump diagram and went over our assembly procedure. I can't think of any mistakes. I guess I'll tear it back down tomorrow morning and see what we screwed up.