Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear fender rust '90 Legacy wagon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zack

Zack

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:34 PM

Ok, thanks to Josh's advice I pulled off the thin black plastic molding on the inside rim of the right rear fender arch. As I feared, there's a lot of rust -- that stupid piece of molding traps salt and gunk.

The rust has eaten into the edge of the fender arch near the top. My question is this: that piece of molding served (I assume) to help seal the joint between the two pieces of sheet metal that formed the inside and outside of the fender. Now, there's a thin open gap between those two pieces of rusted sheet metal. I'm going to paint the accessible surfaces (the outside of the fender and the inside of the wheel well) with POR-15. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll really be able to get much POR-15 into the gap between the two pieces of metal, so those surfaces will be untreated and will no doubt continue to rust. Am I better off leaving the gap between the two piece of metal open, so that water (and gunk) can drain out, or should I seal it up with something to reduce the amount of salty gunk that might find its way up there?

Zack
'90 Legacy wagon AWD auto 159,000 miles

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

Clean the molding out, put some grease or something in there, put it back on, and just clean it out every so often.

#3 Zack

Zack

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:36 PM

Clean the molding out, put some grease or something in there, put it back on, and just clean it out every so often.

Ug. It turns out that the rust was even further gone than I expected, and the 90-degree angled lip which the molding attaches to is completely disintegrated in the left half of the wheel arch. So re-attaching the molding is out of the question.

I still have the option of trying to use some grease to seal the gap between the inner and outter pieces of sheet metal which form the fender. My concern is that the grease will probably not form a perfect seal, and might end up trapping any moisture which does make its way up into the fender.

Zack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users