Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got a Saab 900 IC...now what?

Yeah, just on a lark I peeped under the hood of a '86 Saab at the local PAP and BAM, apparently nobody had gotten to it yet. The turbo still rests inside while I speak. So since the fins are all in stellar condition and it just has some oil inside *shiver* that needs to be washed out I bought it.

Sooo...what the hell do I do with it? Neither my Loyale nor my fictional-soon-to-have XT6 have turbos. Can it be used to cool intake air? I'm thinking of placing it between the open filter and the MAF (or after) to create a proper CAI.

What about exhaust? Where would I need to weld to hook this puppy up?

Hmmm, no performance increase at all? Or just minimal, 1-5 hp or so?

All I ever heard about it is how important it is to properly isolate open filters from the bay area air so they can flow cool intake air. Why can't the IC accomplish this?

Does anyone have a 'scrap' intercooler they can send me? I'll pay for shipping. I'll test it out on my Impreza to see if there are any gains or loses with one installed. I'll even have a fan on top of it. Lol!

I understand the 'theory' behind it and thay it there really shouldn't be any gains....if anything a loss. However, I'm one to test things out, just to see what happens. You never know when you could stumble some part of physics that someone overlooked (Like the intercooler acting as an engine resonance muffler somehow). Bah! U could always test it out....just to see what it does.

Again, it could very well be a waste of time but if you enjoy these types of things and testing things out (like me), something interesting always seem to come out of it. ;)

an intercooler wold just hurt performance on a n/a car, you need the forced induction to get the air through the intercooler with any gain from it, basically, it would restrict the flow of air to the engine. damn, of all the times i cant remember how to spell, and the way i want to say it, it makes more sence than the way ive typed it.