Ultimate Subaru Message Board

which choice? (about tyres)

Phizinza

Yes, i have read the F.A.Q.

But this is about something slightly different.

I have a choice, new 14" tyres or second hand 15" drilled 6lug wheels and tyres.

There is a "u-pull it" wreckers near me, it would cost about $170aud to get the second hand wheels and tyres that are less then half warn. And what I know of new tyre prices it would turn out to be $400aud or more.

So, should I get new wheels and drill them? Or just get new tyres. Obviously new tyres are going too be better offroad performance, but how bad would older ones be?

I'd tell you all about how much I like my inexpensive 14" Liberators, but I don't think there are any WalMarts in Australia!

that is always a problem isn't it...

what outside diameter are they? I'm looking for 27"-28"... I don't mind trimming a bit so bigger the better I guess.

It ddn't say what sizes they come in.. do they come in 14"? I couldn't find any 14" AT tyres on the Aus websites of Dunlop, Bridgestone, Yokahama, BFgoodrich, GoodYear, and some others.. I spent 3 hours searching yesterday :-( So are there 14" tyres? It would save me a lot of work, doing fender widening and cutting, and hub drilling.

It ddn't say what sizes they come in.. do they come in 14"? I couldn't find any 14" AT tyres on the Aus websites of Dunlop, Bridgestone, Yokahama, BFgoodrich, GoodYear, and some others.. I spent 3 hours searching yesterday :-( So are there 14" tyres? It would save me a lot of work, doing fender widening and cutting, and hub drilling.

http://www.tyres1.com/search/search.cgi?web_code=BFAT

here's a better link.only size in 14's are 27x8.5x14 for $89 bucks

im using kumho venture m/t's.... the measures are 27x 8.5/14... these are the best tires i have found for the price.... i got them on tirerack.com for i think it was less than $80/ tire brand new......

i just took a look at them,looks gnarly.must have great traction.

how's the road noise with them?

guess i'll be forgetting about those other tires :grin:

I hope I can get some here is Australia. I was thinking about getting 15" wheels like I said before. But it would require fender triming, finding ones that didn't stick out beond the car, hub drilling, and lots of looking to find the right ones with small enough tyres. Plus I want some off-road tyres by the 11th of next month! Hahaha.

Also, hows the wear on some of those MT Kumho??? I would be very interested to know. I don't drive my subie a whole lot, and I plan on doing a lot more offroading.. Not just trying to get down our drive way (luckly our house is right at the road, but if you want something from one of our sheds, theres a fair bit of mud to get thru now, after all the rain)

Thanks guys.. Oh, and would any Ozzie here know if I can get a AT or MT 14" tyre here?

I done some research on the Kumho AT & MT's. The australian Kumho site has them on it so it looks like I might be able to them. I've heard the MT's last almost as lOng as the AT's. Sounds like there just a little louder, no problem for me I don't care about that.

I'm going to call around to get a price. I'm thinking they will be $100 to $120 each (OUCH) I base this on the $80USD price.

Time to go ask for some more money :-/