Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve clearance meas. question?

I've received my head back from being resurfaced on a '98 outback 2.5L.

I've decided to install the cams & shims etc. with the heads off the engine just to measure and adjust valve clearances-- It seems to work & I don't need the pricey tool.

Is there any thing wrong with doing it this way?

I did it that way the first HG job I did. I held the cams in place to measure and then rechecked the measurements after installation and they were off. Maybe if everything was good and clean and you bolted the cams in place and turned them a few times to seat the shims and the buckets, you might be OK.

The better way is to measure before the cams and heads come out, and you still don't need the tool.

Tom

I took the measurements with the cam caps bolted and torqued each time I've replaced a shim. I noticed if I took the measurement with the cam caps off, I got different clearance readings. It's possible that when the head is bolted to the block that clearance measurements will change slightly..

I did it that way the first HG job I did. I held the cams in place to measure and then rechecked the measurements after installation and they were off. Maybe if everything was good and clean and you bolted the cams in place and turned them a few times to seat the shims and the buckets, you might be OK.

The better way is to measure before the cams and heads come out, and you still don't need the tool.

Tom