Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Headlight Switch/Turn Signal Replacement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 musicislife

musicislife

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Washington D.C.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:37 AM

The contacts in the headlight switch of my 2000 Outback are bad. I saw a post from a person whose headlights would turn off when they used the turn signal. Mine has the same problem. I can jiggle the switch and hear the relay turning on and off. I'm assuming the switch itself can't be repaired and the entire turn signal stalk will have to be replaced. I haven't yet taken the steering column cover off yet. Has anyone done this replacement before? Is it a lot of work? Any tips?
I'd hate to think what a new turn signal stalk will cost at the dealer, so I'm going to look around on the internet for used parts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 Guest_jclay_*

Guest_jclay_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:14 AM

I had to do the same thing on my old '94 legacy, and it wasn't terrible. On that car anyway, once the column cover was off, the actual stalk assembly had like three screws...a couple of which were hard to get to, (i'd reccomend a stubby, ratcheting screwdriver) the wiring wasn't too bad, only a matter of disconnecting the correct harness. I think the worst part would be to thread the replacement wiring down through the steering column again for reconnection. As far as a source for the part, I'd try a JY, that way you can learn whats involved before attempting the proceedure on your own car, and save a few bucks in the process...

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users