Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ18 to EJ22 Swap

RallyKeith

It looks like my dad is getting a 95 AWD Auto Impreza with an EJ18 that is blown. We have a few EJ22 motors lying around. Can we swap one of those in, and if so what would we use. I'm guessing that we could just use the EJ18 intake, wiring, and sensors, and slide the EJ22 Block and heads under it and it would work. Thoughts?

Keith

just take the 2.2 block, use the ej18 heads (to obtain a higher CR, 11:1:brow: ) and the ej18 manifold, as it is better than the ej22 one

Although that sounds really awesome, I think he is going to do this to sell the car, so I don't know how that would go over.

Thanks for the input though. I may have to consider doing that to my Step-father's 1.8 slug. Those little 1.8's are ok unless you want to do major 70mph highway driving. Then they can't seem to get out of their own way.

Keith

as long as you get an EJ22 with the same engine harness plugs as the EJ18 thats in there it will literally bolt up and wire in like nothing, if engine harness has different plugs, just swap EJ18 engine harness onto EJ22 motor, and your done. you can use the same MAF and everything, except make sure you have the same kind of heads as the EJ18 or else you will need to get different exhaust headers.

~Josh~

as long as you get an EJ22 with the same engine harness plugs as the EJ18 thats in there it will literally bolt up and wire in like nothing, if engine harness has different plugs, just swap EJ18 engine harness onto EJ22 motor, and your done. you can use the same MAF and everything, except make sure you have the same kind of heads as the EJ18 or else you will need to get different exhaust headers.

~Josh~

Would I need to get an ECU from a 2.2, or would the 1.8 ECU run it just fine?

Thanks,

Keith

the only things to worry about with EJ18 heads on EJ22 block is the thinckness of the head gasket and the timing belt tensioners, the EJ18 heads are the tiniest bit closer to the crank than the EJ22 heads, like a couple thousandths or something. that will, in theory, make the tensoiners work harder and breakdown faster. i say dont screw witha good thing. yes the EJ18 ECU will rune the EJ22 just fine, the computer will compensate for the extra displacement.

~Josh~

yes the EJ18 ECU will rune the EJ22 just fine, the computer will compensate for the extra displacement.

~Josh~

correct me if im wrong but if a ej18 ECU will run a ej22 then a ej22 ECU should run a ej20 N/A

i ask this because a friend of my'n has had the usual accesory pully problem with his ej22 , half the drive key is still stuck in the timing belt pully so he can't get that off and the bolt has broken off inside the crank and we can't even get a drill to go into it because i think its work hardend(drill was freshly sharpend and it wouldn't even look at cutting into the bolt)

ej22's are very uncommon here so getting another one is out of the question however ej20n/a and ej25's are very common

would the ej25 run on the ej22 harnes?