Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ18 to EJ22 Swap

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

It looks like my dad is getting a 95 AWD Auto Impreza with an EJ18 that is blown. We have a few EJ22 motors lying around. Can we swap one of those in, and if so what would we use. I'm guessing that we could just use the EJ18 intake, wiring, and sensors, and slide the EJ22 Block and heads under it and it would work. Thoughts?

Keith

#2 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:33 PM

i don't know but someone on nasioc or legacy central probably will.
i'd guess that you can though.

#3 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:03 PM

just take the 2.2 block, use the ej18 heads (to obtain a higher CR, 11:1:brow: ) and the ej18 manifold, as it is better than the ej22 one

#4 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

just take the 2.2 block, use the ej18 heads (to obtain a higher CR, 11:1:brow: ) and the ej18 manifold, as it is better than the ej22 one

Although that sounds really awesome, I think he is going to do this to sell the car, so I don't know how that would go over.

Thanks for the input though. I may have to consider doing that to my Step-father's 1.8 slug. Those little 1.8's are ok unless you want to do major 70mph highway driving. Then they can't seem to get out of their own way.

Keith

#5 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:53 PM

as long as you get an EJ22 with the same engine harness plugs as the EJ18 thats in there it will literally bolt up and wire in like nothing, if engine harness has different plugs, just swap EJ18 engine harness onto EJ22 motor, and your done. you can use the same MAF and everything, except make sure you have the same kind of heads as the EJ18 or else you will need to get different exhaust headers.

~Josh~

#6 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:40 PM

as long as you get an EJ22 with the same engine harness plugs as the EJ18 thats in there it will literally bolt up and wire in like nothing, if engine harness has different plugs, just swap EJ18 engine harness onto EJ22 motor, and your done. you can use the same MAF and everything, except make sure you have the same kind of heads as the EJ18 or else you will need to get different exhaust headers.

~Josh~

Would I need to get an ECU from a 2.2, or would the 1.8 ECU run it just fine?

Thanks,
Keith

#7 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:19 PM

oh really? that sounds good *evil grin*

... what about cylinder/valve interference?

#8 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:18 AM

they're already interference engines, so why does that matter? unless you are talking about while the engine is running?

#9 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:27 AM

the old 2.2s are noninterference :)

#10 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:24 AM

the only things to worry about with EJ18 heads on EJ22 block is the thinckness of the head gasket and the timing belt tensioners, the EJ18 heads are the tiniest bit closer to the crank than the EJ22 heads, like a couple thousandths or something. that will, in theory, make the tensoiners work harder and breakdown faster. i say dont screw witha good thing. yes the EJ18 ECU will rune the EJ22 just fine, the computer will compensate for the extra displacement.

~Josh~

#11 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

Fully retarded and low on compression

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:10 AM

yes the EJ18 ECU will rune the EJ22 just fine, the computer will compensate for the extra displacement.

~Josh~

correct me if im wrong but if a ej18 ECU will run a ej22 then a ej22 ECU should run a ej20 N/A
i ask this because a friend of my'n has had the usual accesory pully problem with his ej22 , half the drive key is still stuck in the timing belt pully so he can't get that off and the bolt has broken off inside the crank and we can't even get a drill to go into it because i think its work hardend(drill was freshly sharpend and it wouldn't even look at cutting into the bolt)
ej22's are very uncommon here so getting another one is out of the question however ej20n/a and ej25's are very common

would the ej25 run on the ej22 harnes?

#12 Tbird Man

Tbird Man

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Boone

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:44 AM

it should, can't say for sure.

#13 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:46 AM

yes it should, as long as you swap the motor harness onto the intkae of the ej25 or ej20.

~Josh~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users