Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OffRoad fabrication tool review

diluded000

I picked up a $59 Harbor Freight 14" metal cutoff saw about a month ago. I just put in a D/R transmission, and with the 3" lift had to fabricate new shift linkage for the Hi/Lo shifter in the 85' wagon. It really knocked the new off this saw. I found the saw really works well for the price. This saw replaces my 10" woodworking saw with an abrasive blade in it, so it was a nice change. The big 14" wheel really gets to a higher velocity at the cutting point. It does bog down a bit depending on how the stock is orentied (flat or vertical) but picks back up quickly and powers through steel in a shower of sparks. If anybody is interested I will review the 4 1/2" angle grinder.

Out of five possible stars:

** quality

**** value

*** performance

- James B

I've had a Milwaukee 14" cutoff saw for several years. Before this, I used a hacksaw or, more recently, a recip saw to do my metal cutting. No comparison! In January I had to cut some hardened chain to length, something not really practical with other cutting methods (except bolt cutters, perhaps). The cutoff saw cut through the links like butter... very cold butter to be sure, but it was quick and easy nonetheless.

Please note that it can ruin/alter the temper of stuff you cut.

Did you get extra discs with your saw? They regularly go on sale for half-price, making them an even better deal.

I've had a Milwaukee 14" cutoff saw for several years. Before this, I used a hacksaw or, more recently, a recip saw to do my metal cutting. No comparison! In January I had to cut some hardened chain to length, something not really practical with other cutting methods (except bolt cutters, perhaps). The cutoff saw cut through the links like butter... very cold butter to be sure, but it was quick and easy nonetheless.

Please note that it can ruin/alter the temper of stuff you cut.

Did you get extra discs with your saw? They regularly go on sale for half-price, making them an even better deal.

I got the cutting discs at the Home store in the hopes that it would be a little better. I found the HF tools do a lot better with good blades/bits, but I dunno how much better the one I got really is. My HF woodcutting bandwaw was like a completely different tool when I swapped the stock blade for a Timberwolf.

- James B

I fish mouthed every tube on the buggy with a HF 4.5" angle grinder.

It did the job but gave up the ghost shortly there after...

HF replaced it for a new one with out a question!

I'm now on my third grinder...hey, they just keep replacing them!!! :grin:

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I got the cutting discs at the Home store in the hopes that it would be a little better. I found the HF tools do a lot better with good blades/bits, but I dunno how much better the one I got really is. My HF woodcutting bandwaw was like a completely different tool when I swapped the stock blade for a Timberwolf.

- James B

If you need a precision cutting edge, IMHO get something other than HF brands. If you need sacrificial tools (drill bits that you expect to break, Torx bits that you plan to use with a BIG impact gun :rolleyes: ) HF is OK. The cutoff blades seem to be just fine. I wore out my original Milwaukee blade cutting up pipe, stuck an HF blade on and kept working without noticing any difference.

But, yeah, I wouldn't put an HF blade on my table saw or compound miter saw.