Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dash fan control on 00, 01, 02 Outback

I drove an 2001 Outback VDC with H6-3.0. It had an irritating one button control for dash fan speed. Push once to forward up in speed or continue to push till you're back to low speed. Is that unique for the H6 or any 01 Outback? The 02 had a proper rotory dail control. Don't remember the 00'.

Peter S

Can somebody tell me if their 01 Outback (any variant) has a one button fan speed control vs a rotary dail?

PS

I drove an 2001 Outback VDC with H6-3.0. It had an irritating one button control for dash fan speed. Push once to forward up in speed or continue to push till you're back to low speed. Is that unique for the H6 or any 01 Outback? The 02 had a proper rotory dail control. Don't remember the 00'.

Peter S

Interesting to say the least. Apparently different variants of the same year model have different dash controls, but which do, and which don't? With this in mind I wonder if they are interchangable. I'd rather have a rotory dial than climate control if thats the exchange.

Peter S

our 01 OBW just has a rotary dial... Same for heat/cool and diverter control.

I passed an 00,01,02 OBW Limited today while I was commuting back and forth today and it had the rotary heat dials on the dash.

I love driving vans, you can see most everything from the driver's seat :brow:...

I wonder if the difference is in the "high end" models...(LL Bean & VDC) But one would think that the Limited is "high end" as well...

Although... The LL Bean and VDC have the H6, where the OBW and Limited are the H4 ???

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Australian delivered 2003 Outback 2.5L auto and the fan speed control is driving me insane, but as your forum suggests it is an inherent problem and can't be altered.

BTW have you guys checked out what they cost over here?

Have a look at www.redbook.com.au you will be surprised, I would be happy if ALL the local franchised Subaru dealers could do a good job and not return the vehicle dirty and covered on coolant.

I would be happy if ALL the local franchised Subaru dealers could do a god job and not return the vehicle dirty and covered on coolant.

OT

Graham - I've heard too many negative things about Subaru's dealerships in Melbourne. Do what I do, and take your car to Makin & Luby. They very professional, knowledgeable, and don't return your car dirty or covered in coolant.

My car is heading down there tomorrow for its 87,500km service :)

Thanks for your reply, mine had it's 50,000km service done at 42,000 kms at 2 years old as per the book at time and a lower mileage.

Graham

OT

Graham - I've heard too many negative things about Subaru's dealerships in Melbourne. Do what I do, and take your car to Makin & Luby. They very professional, knowledgeable, and don't return your car dirty or covered in coolant.

My car is heading down there tomorrow for its 87,500km service :)

Getting back on topic, I actually find the temperature control (climate control system) more annoying than the fan speed button. Sometimes when I turn the round dial clockwise to increase the temp, the temperature will actually go down ! You have to be very slow and deliberate when making adjustments.

Does anyone else's Outback have this issue as well ?