Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How-to ... make your own "Condensator" it really works!

This pic is from an '86 ea-82 FSM.

8361PCV20.jpg

Putting your condensator in-line with hose #4 will work on the Carb'd models. MPFI and SPFI have different hose routing and the conedsator should be in-line with hose #2, basically in between the PCV valve and the 1st tee to make sure you filter all the blow by gases. I would think that this placement would work for any PCV system.

It has seemed to fix the smoking on long right handers tho.

This (smoke) drove me nuts for a while. Finnaly found out that Subaru has a modification kit for it. About $50.00 from a dealer.

If the big rubber duct that goes to the SPFI throttle body has 2 seperate hoses on the rear side that go to each rocker cover, and the driver's side one is thinner than the passenger side, you need the mod.

All it it is 2 "T" connectors and a piece of hose that replace the thin hose the same as the passenger side hose. Also included is a small plug for the small hole where the seperate thin hose went into the duct.

No more smoke on long high G right turns.

Dave

This pic is from an '86 ea-82 FSM.

Putting your condensator in-line with hose #4 will work on the Carb'd models. MPFI and SPFI have different hose routing and the conedsator should be in-line with hose #2, basically in between the PCV valve and the 1st tee to make sure you filter all the blow by gases. I would think that this placement would work for any PCV system.

Yes , I know this picture , but it not my case.

Mine is EA82T and I even could not find yet where the PCV valve is located....

Haynes does nor help at all and without the right '86 FSM I am lost totally.

If somebody could make a drawing or picture from his/her MPFSI turbo

hoses for the crankcase gases ? And where to put the condenser ?

Thank you for the pictures , the mpfi version I only found later.

Found the PCV valve , was completely seized and full of dirt ,

in the connecting hose 5 cm of water !

One night in a solvent and it works now.

Seen the dirt and water , a condenser make certainly sense.........even if no drop of gasoline is saved.

Took a jam-jar , soldered 2 brass pieces of tube (different length) in the lid.

One goes nearly to the bottom , the other just below the lid.

Steelwool in between.

Two pictures enclosed.

Wit a turbo , what happened in case of boost ?

The the pression in the intake is very positive and no longer negative.........

post-8745-136027604097_thumb.jpg

Silica gel "filter"

Detachable for easy clean out. Only have about 250 miles on it so far. It has seemed to fix the smoking on long right handers tho.

Very nice setup !

Just one question : Is the silicagel filter in full flow , or just somewhere in the outgoing flow , without completely taken the gas flow ?

• 9 months later...

figured i'd waken up an old thread instad of making a new one to ask my question...

anyone have a pic of a oil catch can/condensor hooked up to a ej-22 N/A engine?

i'm thinking of making one and wondered where the outlet hose from can goes to.and to think of it,where the inlet of the can is hooked up to.

i'm guessing that this won't help the slight smoke problem on cold start-ups?

Your car doesn't necessarily NEED a condensator, but it can clean things up a little. The idea is to slow down the vapors enough to cool them off and keep them out of your intake. You put some steel wool or silica or whatever in the can to give the vapors something to stick to.

Does it really help anything? Lots of opionions on that.

I put one on my Loyale, built out of spare heater hose and an IBM travel coffee cup that I got for free. It caught a bunch of nasty stuff and also cured the "long right hand turn syndrome." If you don't know what that is, in some EA82's, if you go around a long right hand turn, the car smokes and runs rough as it sucks up some gunk through the PVC system. There's an easier way to fix this, though, without building the condensator.

figured i'd waken up an old thread instad of making a new one to ask my question...

anyone have a pic of a oil catch can/condensor hooked up to a ej-22 N/A engine?

i'm thinking of making one and wondered where the outlet hose from can goes to.and to think of it,where the inlet of the can is hooked up to.

i'm guessing that this won't help the slight smoke problem on cold start-ups?

I made one but havent put it on yet mainly cause my design sucks, but I was going to put it in line between the large crankcase vent and the PCV valve on the manifold.

smoking on start up is likely something else like valve seals.

I'm just going to buy one of the cheapo ones off of ebay. for what they are, you cant beat the price.