Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Brake Pad Replacement on 86 GL

Hey guys,

I'm in the need to know what I need to do in order to get the pads on. Looking at the caliper, it's (obviously) different than my '98 legacy where one bolt lets the caliper flip up to access the pads -- and I'm not looking to take everything apart, though that did cross my mind. What's the easy way to do this if there is one:D

//Mark

1986 GL 4WD 5spd "Grace Biege"

I can't imagine it being much different than my '87 XT (which is similar to my VW).

Behind the caliper there is a bolt just below the pads that runs through the caliper (rather long), loosen this bolt then it will pivot on a similarly looking bolt above the pads. The caliper can also be removed by sliding it off this big 'pin'. You may have to use a small hammer to tap the pads and swing the caliper free. My VW Golf worked the same way.

jw

milwaukee

Originally posted by Flowmastered87GL

Not a clue myself.... check this evening after more people get on. I can yank an engine and take it apart and get it back together... but I dont know the first thing about brakes :cornfuzz:

Well, I know who to come to for engine help.... :banana:

//M

Originally posted by biffbradford

I can't imagine it being much different than my '87 XT (which is similar to my VW).

Behind the caliper there is a bolt just below the pads that runs through the caliper (rather long), loosen this bolt then it will pivot on a similarly looking bolt above the pads. The caliper can also be removed by sliding it off this big 'pin'. You may have to use a small hammer to tap the pads and swing the caliper free. My VW Golf worked the same way.

jw

milwaukee

That long bolt was what I looking for (like my 98 Legacy) and found, though I did't see the top bolt for the caliper to pivot on -- I must be missing something.

//M

Guest subu luvr

two 17 mm bolts hold the caliper to the knuckle.

pull em and the entire caliper lifts off....

take note of the anti-rattle springs, and pull the old pads.

use a needle nose or proper tool to screw the parking brake

piston back in...

compress one spring, insert one end of pad, then the other......

i heartily recommend using either anti-squeal stickers, or

blue glue anti-squeal goopie on the backs of the pads...

It should be like my '85 or '88. There are two bolts holding the caliper assembly on. You have to take both bolts out, and then pry off the whole caliper assembly.

Once the caliper is off, the old pads just pop off. Then, turn the piston clockwise to retract it into the caliper. You can use pliers, or you can buy a universal brake tool from a parts store. The universal tool is a 3/8" drive steel cube with little knobs poking out of its corners which fit into the piston to grip and turn it.

With the piston all of the way in, put the new pads on (use the brake pad goo, for the sake of everyone's ears). Put the caliper on the car, and put the 2 bolts back into the caliper.

Originally posted by stephenw22

It should be like my '85 or '88. There are two bolts holding the caliper assembly on. You have to take both bolts out, and then pry off the whole caliper assembly.

Once the caliper is off, the old pads just pop off. Then, turn the piston clockwise to retract it into the caliper. You can use pliers, or you can buy a universal brake tool from a parts store. The universal tool is a 3/8" drive steel cube with little knobs poking out of its corners which fit into the piston to grip and turn it.

With the piston all of the way in, put the new pads on (use the brake pad goo, for the sake of everyone's ears). Put the caliper on the car, and put the 2 bolts back into the caliper.

I saw those to caliper assembly bolts (17mm) and took one out, but was thinking it should be simpler than that. Oh well, now I know and knowing is half the battle! Thanks stephenw22!

//M