Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug conversion Qs

Hello all. I have a quick question, before I goto summer college (YAY...not really).

What do I need to do a 5 lug conversion on my 87 Gl-10? All the parts listed, would be a good thing

Look Late for my first day of my first class. That's typical of me. Late for everything. If you knew me, you'd think that was an understatement.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Guest shadow

Articles > Ultimate Subaru Repair & Modifications > Suspension > 5-lug conversion parts

Caboobaroo took a post by SubaruTex and put it into the USRM. :) It should tell you everything you need to complete the 5 lug swap.

The "crossmember problem" is detailed in a post around here, it is linked to either using 2wd or 4wd XT6 lower control arms, and each having a different through-bolt size on the engine cross member, if I remember correctly.

actually I found that it probably depends on the year since I put 4wd XT6 control arms in my '89 RX and had to do the same thing. If you have any issues, PM me and I can help ya through it. For me, I used Impreza struts/brakes/knuckles in the front so I also overcame all the little issues with that setup as well.

Ok, Corky (Mr. Corky, since we haven't been introduced? ;) ), what do I need to grab off of an XT6 in order to convert my 88 GL10? Or is a Legacy a viable donor?

You asked...

First it must be a 4WD version of a XT6. Up front, you need everything from the tranny out, that means, axles, lower arm, ball joints, knuckle, strut, complete front brake system. In the rear, you need to take everything from and including the backing plate out, the is backing plate, rotor, complete rear brake system. If you currently do not have a turbo car(25 spline stub axle), you will need to replace the joint on the axle at the tranny with one for a non-turbo car (23 spline stub axle). Hope that explains it, there is a page on my web site that shows the conversion.

i have a secret. fwd imprezas with 5spd are 23 spline. the example i know of is a 93 fwd 5spd ej18. this was discovered when legacy parts were unstalled up front, and the axle was too big for the stub

also a long time ago i remember the leftover clutch from this same car got mixid in with ea82 fwd 5spd, which is also the same. think of it as an ea82 fwd 5spd with an ej bellhousing

i have a secret. fwd imprezas with 5spd are 23 spline. the example i know of is a 93 fwd 5spd ej18. this was discovered when legacy parts were unstalled up front, and the axle was too big for the stub

also a long time ago i remember the leftover clutch from this same car got mixid in with ea82 fwd 5spd, which is also the same. think of it as an ea82 fwd 5spd with an ej bellhousing

If you go this way, you still need the lower arm, and ball joint from the XT6, then the axles, knuckles and struts from the RWD Impreza, you will likely have to change the strut tops. You will need the XT6 front brake system since they have the e-brake system on them (unless you try the rear e-brake conversion that I came up with, then you can use the Impreza brakes).

Also, I forgot to add above, you also need the tie rod ends off the XT6.

is it possible to bolt impreza stuff on the rear? ive been thinking about doing this conversion for the suspension and braking upgrades. i dont think theres a whole lot of performance handling and braking components out there for ea82s except for GR2s in the rear and the occasional stainless steel braided brake line. :-\

is it possible to bolt impreza stuff on the rear? ive been thinking about doing this conversion for the suspension and braking upgrades. i dont think theres a whole lot of performance handling and braking components out there for ea82s except for GR2s in the rear and the occasional stainless steel braided brake line. :-\
For the average person, the answer is "No!" The rear suspension on an Impreza is quite a bit different that that of any EA82. Now if you are a master fabricator, you could possibly come up with a way to do it, but at what cost, and would the results be worth the price. I did come up with a way to use early Toyota Supra rear brakes, and Tex actually installed them on a car and had them working. He used a different approach to the e-bake cables that I would have, but by doing it his way, it was easy to convert back to original if needed. Back in the day of the EA82s, only a few people were using them as performance cars, there just wasn't a market for performance parts for them, that is way you won't find anything.