Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tires for '99 Impreza OBS we're selling - fix the shimmy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 regaignon

regaignon

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Edison

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:34 PM

We have a '99 Impreza OBS and replaced the tires at about 40k miles (lots of flats living in the city). We replaced them with Goodyear Aquatreds, and after about 15k miles started to notice some serious shimmying at 50-70 mph -- mainly noticeable in the steering wheel. We took it in to the dealer (Middlesex, in Somerset, NJ), and they said that these tires commonly wear unevenly, causing this shimmying and that it was nothing to worry about if we could live with it.

Now we're trying to sell it (asking $6500, has 87k miles on it, and we're in Edison, NJ, if anyone's interested) and several buyers have been concerned by the shimmy. It's been enough of a pain that we're thinking of replacing the tires to sell the thing, but we want to be sure we fix the problem before plunking down several $100s to fix it.

... so: Has anyone else had this problem? Did new tires fix it? Which new tires would be sure to deal with it?

Thanks, all.

Best,
Greg

#2 stevetone

stevetone

Subaru Owner Since 1995

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Stoughton, WI

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:50 AM

We have a '99 Impreza OBS and replaced the tires at about 40k miles (lots of flats living in the city). We replaced them with Goodyear Aquatreds, and after about 15k miles started to notice some serious shimmying at 50-70 mph -- mainly noticeable in the steering wheel. We took it in to the dealer (Middlesex, in Somerset, NJ), and they said that these tires commonly wear unevenly, causing this shimmying and that it was nothing to worry about if we could live with it.

Now we're trying to sell it (asking $6500, has 87k miles on it, and we're in Edison, NJ, if anyone's interested) and several buyers have been concerned by the shimmy. It's been enough of a pain that we're thinking of replacing the tires to sell the thing, but we want to be sure we fix the problem before plunking down several $100s to fix it.

... so: Has anyone else had this problem? Did new tires fix it? Which new tires would be sure to deal with it?

Thanks, all.

Best,
Greg

Couldn't you rotate the tires and see if the shimmy changes or is eliminated?

#3 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:16 AM

I just had the same problem fixed with a new set of tires. The steering wheel had a pretty noticeable vibration above 60 mph. I was almost positive I had some worn steering component, but when I got new tires, The problem was solved.

Matt

#4 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:57 AM

Replace the tires. We had the Aquatreads on a 96 Caravan we had. After about 6 months and 12K miles, they became very loud and I had them 'spin balanced'. Didn't help. We sold the van last year, depite what others experienced, we got good service from that 96 caravan 157K when sold, no major repairs.

Just before we sold it, I went to a local tire store with a $200 special tires which would fit. Done Deal. Became a selling point....New tires, one less thing for the next owner to worry about. Granted they were cheap, but most new factory tires are also.
Love the Jersey Shore....!!!

#5 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:47 AM

I do go to Somerset a.k.a Middlesex Foreign Cars for tire rotation and balancing, and their work has been good. A few months ago I replaced our other, "big" car with a van that had shimmy starting at about 75 mph. It also has Goodyear tires but a cheap brand. I took it to Bill's Ineffable Automotive Rehabilitation in Metuchen. Their did R&B which included flipping two tires on the rims (I suggested doing it on one that showed some edge wear) and also adjsuted toe-in. The shimmy is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users