Ultimate Subaru Message Board

THULE racks- Fairing and mileage?

I've got a THULE roof rack on my '01 Outback wagon (square crossbars), and I'm thinking about getting a fairing (wind deflector) with the hope that it will either improve gas mileage, or at the very least not affect it. I've read that results can vary from car to car. Has anyone kept track of their mileage pre- and post-installation of a THULE fairing on their Outback wagons? If it's too detrimental to economy, I'll happily put up with the wind noise.

Thanks!

I haven't ever driven my car without the faring, but riding in cars with a similar rack, I noticed mine was much quieter. I did see a slight improvement in economy with the rack off altogether. I also get better mileage with the bike rack than with the ski rack (and less noise).

I didn't pay as much attention in fluid mechanics as I should have, but it seems to me that it reduces drag a bit. Plus, cars just look so much better with fairings, as long as they're not all bumpy / put on half-assedly. I think I spend like 30 min getting mine perfect.

wrack.jpg

I haven't ever driven my car without the faring, but riding in cars with a similar rack, I noticed mine was much quieter. I did see a slight improvement in economy with the rack off altogether. I also get better mileage with the bike rack than with the ski rack (and less noise).

Thanks, Jamal. The noise reduction and the cool factor have decided it for me. Interesting that I can't find more info from fuel economy fiends out there, though. I'll try to maintain good records and see if I can discern any difference in milage after the fairing's installed. Right-o!

The faring barely makes a dent in fuel economy. It looks cool, and it is a place for stickers. Just spend time putting it on right and you will be very happy!

Kevin

Heh, yeah. I have a growing pile of stickers I might someday put on the faring, although now I have the racks completely off. I mostly just commute to work now, but I'll probably be needing the bike rack sometime soon.

I have a yakima rack with a variety of kayak saddles on my 96 outback. The mileage is the same with or without the racks on- fairings probably wouldnt make the mileage improve over no racks. Believe it or not, the kayaks on the rack dont seem to affect gas mileage either!

My Saab was much quieter with the thule fairing on, although it didnt seem to affect mileage on that either. So, I vote for the fairings not for mileage, but for silence!

badjer

Using the flaring... and a fold down light bar would be tricky i think..

I'll have to get a pic of my subi when i have the 'Full' Racks on her... 78" load bars, 2 bikes, 2 15' touring kayaks on the stacker, and a thule evolution 1800 box.

Yeah... my trasnmission hates me.