Ultimate Subaru Message Board

update i've had another look at it and there isnt any noise when drive is selected (i wasnt driving when it stopped) but also absolutely no change to the engine revs. It was going from nuetral to drive when it stopped could it have broken/disconnected a selector cable?

Camo puzzled......

update i've had another look at it and there isnt any noise when drive is selected (i wasnt driving when it stopped) but also absolutely no change to the engine revs. It was going from nuetral to drive when it stopped could it have broken/disconnected a selector cable?

Camo puzzled......

The Linkage cable runs along the right side of the tranny (I guess the driver's side on yours) It is a cable like a bicycle brake cable, but heavier. If you get the car up on ramps you should be able to tell if that is the problem. There is a pin holding the cable onto the selector on the transmission. If that pin popped out or the nut holding the arm to the linkage on the trans came loose. It could act like that.

Good luck

Speaking of 4eat rebuilds anyone attempt one of these I am curious as my 4eat is slipping and I found a rebuild kit for $264.90 which does not sound too shabby...thanks

BC

I've just finished installing my second rebuilt 4EAT in my 92 turbo (something like 315k miles!). The last transmission failed when a thrust bearing disintegrated - having nothing better to do, I did tear down the transmission to see what happened. Most of the transmission is fairly logical, at least if you've seen automatics before. The problem with doing a rebuild is just getting the sheer number of parts right - even my rebuilder commented that the control body got pretty interesting. Also, there are a fair number of measurements that have to be taken to ensure the proper thickness of shim plates, and probably more than one or two specialized tools necessary. If you're really adventurous and want to take a fun ride down the learning curve, go for it. If you want confidance in a pretty complex mechanism, go to the professional rebuilders. You'll still have lots of fun taking the beast in and out! Have fun!

By the way, if anyone is interested in a rebuilt turbo 4eat, I might think about replacing the damaged parts in my old unit....