Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 5spd tranny...

how tough are they?

I will be installing a front and center LSD into my RX box in the next week(s) and from there....I'll be doing non-stop full on boost launches with it (antilag+launch control)....

So far, ive done about 50 launches similar to that with no ill effects as of yet....

so, how long will it last?

Guest shadow

They are pretty stout from my experience, but shed weight = save tranny as far as that goes, take it to the limits; remove everything. Stick with smallish tires too (diameter). Antilag + launch control, most interesting, I hope you are getting an Inconel or titanium exhaust made! :drunk:

Nobody can answer 'how long will it last'. Way to many variables and unknown factors.

They are tough trannies :) Mine's been holding up to 29" tires very well! I'd think you would break something else before breaking the internals of your tranny. Tranny isnt the weakest link in your drive train :)

i thought the S/R shifted alot smoother than the D/R one..

1st to 2nd in my D/R is real stiff.. if i try to jam it in there too quickly i get nasty grinding

My D/R is the same way! I hate it somtimes, I have to go from 1st to 2nd JUST right if I'm doing a WOT run. I could gain so much ground if I could just jam it in 2nd faster. :(

The tranny won't last. These trannies are nothing more than pieces of glass held together with elmers glue and bit of voodoo.

Let me recap:

Dan in his Turbo wagon:

Pushbutton 4wd 5spd - Broke rear output selector (was running in RWD)

S/R Fulltime 4wd 5spd - Shift rod froze up, on examination 2nd gear was toast

Me in my RX:

D/R Fulltime 4wd 5spd - Shift rod froze up, got rid of it before I could open it up

On my tranny I did quite a bit of full on launches. You know... the kind where the fronts are busy spinning and the back end locks up and steps sideways a bit.

This year at ice racing we blew 2nd gear completely out of a tranny. The year before we blew the shift forks out of one.

A buddy of mine drives one on the street and he's gone through 2 transfer gears in the last 2 weeks. And he blows shifter forks like they are going out of style.

Personally..i haven't done any damage to the trannies i listed (knock on wood).

Really....it all depends how you drive the thing. There are people out there who know what they are doing, and those tho don't. The people who actually take their time while shifting because .5 of a second doesn't matter, heel-toe downshift, double clutch occasionally....well their trannies will last 500,000 miles.

The people who beat the living crap out of their trannies.....the ones who ram it into the next gear, don't heel-toe, don't double clutch, and do excessive drag launches....well their tranny might only last weeks.

It's exactly the same crap with the WRX trannies. There are people who don't drive like morons and they get LOTS of miles outta them. Then there are the people who drive the bag off them, and they are blowing trannies left right and center.

Personally.....i like to think i know what i'm doing....but my buddy and the ones we blew at ice racing.....well those guys don't heel-toe, and they just ram the crap outta the gears.

antilag and launch control eh...enlighten me

you know what anti-lag is...right? well, I will be doing that with the RX if I run it in StreetMod class...otherwise, no Anti Lag for Street Prep classes...

However, Launch control is legal in SP...

Launch control: basically a revlimiter at a set RPM, on-off controled by the clutch switch.

So...its sort of a 'fool proof' launching method. The most consistant launch method (supposidly....but Ive never missed a beat with my launches so i might not use it....but I WILL with the combination of antilag/large wide butt tires and so on...) and lots of people are using it now and it is a common feature on AEM, Hydra and so on...the big name standalone EMS stuff.

comination of AL/LC with larger turbo and 335/35/17 race tires=full boost (somewhere around 20~30 PSI depending on turbo and the rest of the setup)upon launch at about 5k.

Right now tho...no AL/LC until the off season when i start to develop it properly.

From Subaru-global.com

"The basic design for the 5-speed transmission currently fitted to the Legacy and Impreza has been in use before these models appeared and dates back to the Leone era. Originally the transmission was developed for torque estimated at around 20 kgfm. However, the excellence of the fundamental design and successful efforts to improve the strength of the gears, this transmission has grown into a 5-speed manual transmission with the durability and power for the current generation of Legacy and Impreza."

The Leone era was about 20 years ago. Designed with careful thought and developed with attention to detail, the manual transmission has been mass-produced over a long time and has matured well. The manual transmission is a symbol of the excellence of Subaru technology.

So, yeah, it shouldn't be too bad. But she'll brake just like a WRX box if you give her too much hell.

alright i know what both those are.

Heck...i'm not far from running Anti-lag, and have just about figured out how to make my own rev limiter and Launch control.

just wondering how you were going to go about it.

BTW.....Megasquirt will do launch control for you....and Anti-lag....it's a definate possibility

alright i know what both those are.

Heck...i'm not far from running Anti-lag, and have just about figured out how to make my own rev limiter and Launch control.

just wondering how you were going to go about it.

BTW.....Megasquirt will do launch control for you....and Anti-lag....it's a definate possibility

I was figureing MS could do it....