Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

legacy exhaust questions ; Rusted studs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anaphe

anaphe

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • calgary

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:54 PM

Hi Gang,

I put the car up on the hoist today, (tire shop beneath my office) and finally it is time to put a new muffler on the 91 legacy awd wagon.

I ordere dthe piece from worldpac $140 canadian. But when we were looking at the piece it seems that the studs and nuts which hold the cat section to the muffler section are totally corroded and rusted. I sprayed them with some PB blaster but they hardly resemble nuts any more.

I was going to have the tire shop perform the work because they have been great to me (give me world pac at cost + 10%) etc.

My question, should I just take it to an exhaust shop? The bolts from the cat pipe to the muffler appear to be presses or welded on making replacement of broken bolts which appear to be likey a very possible reality.

TIA

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,614 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:48 PM

Are you talking about the front cat? it's in the header. So you'd have to replace the header. There is an intermidiate pipe from there to the mid pipe with the second cat.

Which piece are you talking about?

#3 anaphe

anaphe

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • calgary

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:10 PM

Sorry for not being clear. I am talking about replacing the rear section with the muffler. It bolts to the intermediate section with the 2nd cat or resonator. The problem is that the studs appear to be part of the intermediate flange and I doubt they will survive the extraction of the rear section.

#4 TheBrian

TheBrian

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:00 PM

If your '91 exhaust is like my '96 exhaust, cut 'em off. Threaded fasteners on an old exhaust are a lost cause.

I replaced my rusted out flange with a split flange. Of course, that's not an option either if your flange is integrated, or if the lip the flange rests on is in bad shape. In either of those cases, I'd guess the easiest approach would involve welding.

Are you still running the original exhaust?

#5 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,614 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

None of the bolts on the mid pipe with the second cat are integrated. They're just bolts. Cut 'em off, and just buy some stainless steel bolts and nuts at the hardward store.

#6 anaphe

anaphe

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • calgary

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:16 AM

Thanks a bunch....they sure look integrated must be the special ferrous coating my car came with : )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users