Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yes, they must have an issue with the new headlamp. I've seen it, too.

I do hope the penny-pinchers at GM haven't penetrated FHI.

I also hope that FHI can continue making great cars, while surving in the marketplace.

The only possible causes I can think of are:

Factory uses bulbs with a 1%+ latent defect rate. i.e. cheap bulbs

Headlamp assy transmits excessive vibration to bulbs. Do the '05's appear to have adequate cushioning?

OK so what's with the gremlins in the 05 headlights? Two friends with 05 OBs have had the bulbs replaced. I'm now waiting for mine to go and will feel cheated if I don't have the same problem.

I, too, will feel cheated if my '05 O.B. bulbs do not fail. I want what is coming to me! About how many miles will I have to wait?

Juan

• 6 months later...

I had the dealer replace one burned out headlight at under 11k miles and I just had them do the other at under 12.5K miles.

The tech told me they do *tons* of headlight replacements on the 05 OBs.

More than a few are both lights at once - people don't notice when one is out ( :confused: ), then the other goes out and they go to the dealer thinking the switch is bad.

Changed the right low beam on my '05 O.B.W. It was really east after pulling the plastic screw out of the window-wash bottle and moving it aside. I hope I never have to repalce the right side. That looks like a bear. Looks like I'd have to remove the airfilter box to get to it.

Still, bought two low bulbs; one to replace and one to keep in tire bucket for later.

How much did it cost you to have one replaced? Just wondering.

Juan

NOTHING! The dealer is replacing so many of these that they *know* it's a defect and do them for free, just like they should, under the warranty.

You think I could put the burnt-out bulb back in and have Subaru replace it for free? Seriously. Maybe they will just give me another spare if I show and tell them about it? Or, am I just out twelve bucks and ten minutes at 11,000 miles?

Still, I would feel more cheated had the bulb not blown. I can rest assured that my '05 is normal. I'll take karma over $12 bucks any day. Life is suffering.

Juan

You think I could put the burnt-out bulb back in and have Subaru replace it for free? Seriously. Maybe they will just give me another spare if I show and tell them about it? Or, am I just out twelve bucks and ten minutes at 11,000 miles?

Still, I would feel more cheated had the bulb not blown. I can rest assured that my '05 is normal. I'll take karma over $12 bucks any day. Life is suffering.

Juan

All subarus come with a 3year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warrenty. That includes bulbs. If you put the original back in and took it in I'm sure they would replace it. I had a license plate bulb replaced under warrenty on my STi.

Keith

UPDATE: I just got a replacement brandy new Auto transmission on my 05 as mine died at 13,000 miles. Now try and do me one better on that!

Bro, did they check any "black box" chip thingy to see if you had driven it way hard? Did you -drive it way hard, I mean?

Tell me more. Better yet, start a new thread, OK?

Juan

It's my wife's car and NO it was not diven anywhere near hard by her or me as an occasional driver. I have to admit, we baby our Subarus so I'm a little disappointed. BTW, my 2000 Legacy GT auto is on it's 3rd tranny at 76,000 miles. The first one suffered from "delayed engagement" at about 37K and that one was replaced at 72K because of a clicking noise which developed shortly after pinion gear whining started. Fortunately, both replacements were warranty covered but I hate to admit, it seems like either a weak spot for Subaru or I may be suffering fom "bad Carma".

Bro, did they check any "black box" chip thingy to see if you had driven it way hard? Did you -drive it way hard, I mean?

Tell me more. Better yet, start a new thread, OK?

Juan