Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My understanding was that if you have a 5 speed and floor in first, the AWD cant anticipate peel out versus an Automatic transmission that can. At least this is how my Impreza works. However My Legacy just revs up real high, but delivers a low amount of power until a balance is achieved. Any thoughts on whats up with that?

However My Legacy just revs up real high, but delivers a low amount of power until a balance is achieved. Any thoughts on whats up with that?

How does it smell after you do that? You are most likely over powering the clutch and it's sitting there slipping like mad. The RS has a better clutch in it that will grab a little better and is probably why it behaves differently.

The 5spd AWD system will deliver torque equally to the front and rear. If you provide enough torque to break the wheels loose, both the front and rear will peel out.

With the AT AWD system, you'll likely get a faint front wheel spin, but the AWD system will start applying more torque to the rear wheels. It will continue to do so until front wheel slip is gone, or until torque split is 50/50. At that point, both front and rear wheels should spin, like the MT.

How does it smell after you do that? You are most likely over powering the clutch and it's sitting there slipping like mad. The RS has a better clutch in it that will grab a little better and is probably why it behaves differently.

Actually I wondered about that myself and have been waiting for a smell but got nothing.

If you don't get much of a jump off the line from a 5-spd AWD, you're definitely slipping the clutch (not good!). I have never gotten any wheelspin on a dry road. The subies just don't have enough power to break the tires loose. Get it right, and it will "step off" MUCH harder than any auto AWD. The best way to get a good start in my parent's 5-spd. Legacy is to "blip" the throttle to about 3,000 and let the cluch out quickly while flooring it, slipping as little as possible. At least that seems to be the best way to merge back onto I-95 from a dead stop fully loaded on the way to our vacation spot ha ha.

Brian

Bad news. I was driving home today, my RPMs went way up, power output went way down. I changed gears a couple times but pulled over once I couldnt get the car above 25 MPH. Popped the hood and released a plume of gray smoke and one fowl smell of burning, of which I am almost positive was rubber. Im slightly pissed.

Sounds like you totalled the clutch. We had to replace the clutch in our '98 legacy at 88,000 miles. The RPM's would go up but the car would not pick up speed. If you can barely get up to speed from a standstill, your clutch is almost gone. The problem starts in the higher gears, but the worse it gets, it creeps into the lower gears. That's how ours was. I would take it to a good independent garage or do it yourself, The dealer wanted $850 to replace it, our Subaru garage did it for $400.

Brian

you need a clutch.

if you get annoyed at going through clutches, try an automatic. didn't realize until i got an automatic by chance that my clutch problems were really annoying with a manual. i won't go back now and spend much less time messing with trans issues. off roading in mud, snow, towing and myself burns clutches too often. i've saved lots of time and money with my auto.

you need a clutch.

if you get annoyed at going through clutches, try an automatic. didn't realize until i got an automatic by chance that my clutch problems were really annoying with a manual. i won't go back now and spend much less time messing with trans issues. off roading in mud, snow, towing and myself burns clutches too often. i've saved lots of time and money with my auto.

Clutch eh. Kinda blows, Ive only had the car for a few months. However I wouldnt give up the stick. I had an auto Legacy before and its fuel economy was way less than my Legacy now.

• 11 months later...

Get redirected to www.w3.org ? My browser (Firefox) redirects me to there, too, using the above link.

Looks like he miscopied the link. Fixed one should be: http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/brand.php?make=subaru&year=1996&model=legacy&partname=clutch_kit&brand=exedy

Nope. That didn't work for me, either (server complained about a malformed URL), so I tried: http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/basket.php?makeid=31&year=1996&modelid=502&partid=137&brandid=1159

Slegacy--weren't you the one on here bragging about your mpg increase? LOL--not trying to smoke all four tires like you're driving a 911turbo would help...plus you wouldn't be out 1100 for a clutch...thats like 380 gallons of gas...way to go.

Umm I dont try to peel out thanks. Glad your telling me how to drive. Actually I had to replace the clutch shortly after I got the car. The previous owner was a 4'11" Chilean woman. Nice lady, but I dont think she pushed the clutch in all the way.

What does this have to do with my gas mileage? Stop being an rump roast make posts that dont waste everyone's time.