Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am considering putting a junk yard tranny in my 91 Legacy. In most cars, this wouldn't worry me. Check the fluid color and in it goes! But on Subaru's there's no way to know if the tranny was damaged due to improper towing from the accident scene or if it has torque binding issues or if there is front differential bearing/gear noise. Any feedback on a junk yard tranny? Do I need to worry about pinion backlash? I may have the junk yard put it in...since I don't have a tranny jack or hoist. But if it requires measuring backlash and balancing the driveshafts...I'm not sure they're up to it. Any feedback on the junk yard install idea is welcome. Thank!

So far I've guessed that your car is AWD, but is it an Automatic or a manual? Is it a turbo or just normally aspirated? Depending on how much you are willing to spend you can get one from a salvage yard that should be gauranteed to be good for some amount of time. Of course, the other route is just finding a u-pull it yard and getting one for next to nothing.

Keith

Its a 1991 AWD auto, no turbo with 190,000 miles. Trying to decide if i should dump money into it or sell it. Sometimes the engine runs rough like it's not getting good spark. Inner tie rod ends shot. AC cuts off sometimes...just for fun. Not sure how long the engine will last. May not be worth the work.

I put a jy tranny in my auto 93 Legacy L AWD. Reverse stopped working for me at 130,000, and when I went to a transmission shop, independant Subaru mechanic, and the dealer, I was quoted at over $2000 at the dealer and tranny shop, and the mechanic referred me to that tranny place. We found one with 80k miles for about $700 I think, had it installed by a mechanic my dad knows, and it's been working fine for the last 20,000 miles.

snipOf course, the other route is just finding a u-pull it yard and getting one for next to nothing.

Keith

Kieth,

They just don'y have those in the midwest, You have A-Z in Shoemakersville, Joe's in New Ringgold, Harry's up in Hazleton, and the one north of Allentown. Great yards chuck full of Subarus. Here in Michigan there is one in Holland and it lacks Subaru's. I dont know what Iowa is like. But northwestern Indiana lacks them too. Maybe I should quit advertising and open a junkyard! It would sure beat the office! BTW-could you send me a cheesesteak on an ATV roll. Ah, life's simple pleasures.

Midwest,

Check car-part.com You may pay a few bucks but you might find a good one. At 191,000 miles? how much further do you want it to go and how much more $$ do you want to put in a car worth $1000 (maybe worth more to you but on the market). If you feel like driving to Chicago there are a few early Legacys on craigslist.com

Take care,

Greg

I'll be honest, I'm not sure its worth the risk. Because I have to pay for labor, if the first junk yard tranny is a dud, I am in trouble. Being miserably poor has a lot of limitations...like one try and I'm out of money. I think I should let this beloved legacy go to a new owner. Someone who can afford to fix it or run it into the ground. It has many problems...not just the tranny. Someone will pay a grand for it in Iowa. LOL on the midwest parts availability problems. Not just parts, cars too. It takes me months to chase down a "new" subaru. The last one I found 100 miles from my house. The one I plan to buy is in another town 30 miles away. There's another one 1 hour away....probably a pice of junk. You got to love them!