Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

adapting lift kit

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dziuggy

dziuggy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • san francisco, ca

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:48 PM

well i got that idea since all lift kit is (body lift) spacers / longet bolts prety much, so how about adapting one of the ebay lift kits (that can be had for 60-100 on ebay) for use with subarus, any one knows exhact number of spacers needed and bolt diameters?

well just an idea but if it would work it would save alot of money for all of us

#2 4x4mudrat

4x4mudrat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Tumut, Australia

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

Very tricky as many of the parts are really designed specifically for the Subaru such as the strut and steering extensions and so forth.

Bolt sizes are M10 and M12 with a metric 1.25 or 1.50 thread (I can't remember exactly but it's smaller than the standard metric 1.75). Length will vary according to the size of the lift, but budget for 20-30mm of thread.

Lift kits for Subarus are very cheap anyway, eg 4" lift for Suby $500 vs 4" lift for Nissan Patrol $2,000.

#3 Shadyirishmen

Shadyirishmen

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Scappoose OR,

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:19 AM

Well not everyone uses spacers when they make a lift kit!!!! We just made a lift for an EA81 for a member on the board and we only want to make a lift that can get maximum clearance. We had to use VW baha suspension components and retrofit them with custom springs to fit in the shock well in order to raise the rear suspension without using mounting blocks.

Allied Armament www.alliedarmament.com

well i got that idea since all lift kit is (body lift) spacers / longet bolts prety much, so how about adapting one of the ebay lift kits (that can be had for 60-100 on ebay) for use with subarus, any one knows exhact number of spacers needed and bolt diameters?

well just an idea but if it would work it would save alot of money for all of us

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:32 AM

those ebay lift kits are total crap. stay away.

#5 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,204 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:30 AM

$500 or weeks of custom development IS the bargain. Hockey pucks and bolts DO work as a body lift on a 2nd gen bronco for an inch or three but not here.

#6 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

Good luck adapting the steering extension & the strut tops. Do those even come in an "ebay kit" and where are these kits? ive never seen one.

Its better to just pay for a designed kit that will bolt in, unless you'd like to spend months wreckin your brain trying to figure out how to get your camber back to stock spec's.

-Brian

#7 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

Well not everyone uses spacers when they make a lift kit!!!! We just made a lift for an EA81 for a member on the board and we only want to make a lift that can get maximum clearance. We had to use VW baha suspension components and retrofit them with custom springs to fit in the shock well in order to raise the rear suspension without using mounting blocks.

Allied Armament www.alliedarmament.com

id like to see how any of these lifts you keep tryin to pedal acutaly hold up.

suspension lifts are out of the question for subarus. the axles need to be at STOCK angles.

down travel is inportant too.

hope you never run into any law suits cuz of quick, not thought out designs....

quit tryin to sell something in every thread you answer...

#8 WAWalker

WAWalker

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Montana

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:06 AM

I'm guessing you are refuring to a body lift for vehicles with ladder frames.? Subarus have a unibody. The body of the car is what keeps the suspension located. If you put rubber spacers between the suspension and body, the car would be undrivable. Were as on a vehicle with a ladder frame desing the suspension is attached to the frame. The body is just riding on top of the frame, so you can get away with doing body lifts to gain tire clearance, with out affecting your suspension integrity.

#9 Shadyirishmen

Shadyirishmen

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Scappoose OR,

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

I wasn't trying to sell anything I was just telling you and everyone else that there is an alternative (springs). :-\

id like to see how any of these lifts you keep tryin to pedal acutaly hold up.

suspension lifts are out of the question for subarus. the axles need to be at STOCK angles.

down travel is inportant too.

hope you never run into any law suits cuz of quick, not thought out designs....

quit tryin to sell something in every thread you answer...

#10 mudrat79

mudrat79

Banned

• Banned
  • 697 posts
  • Eugene,

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:26 PM

FYI.....Irishman.....

You can get 3" of lift on any EA-81 Car in the rear using a Stock subaru Component.....But I'll keep that a Secret too....:)

No need to go borrow parts from a Vw or other brand of rig....

#11 Shadyirishmen

Shadyirishmen

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Scappoose OR,

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:10 PM

Im gonna hunt every junkyard now to find the the component.... We tried the stock struts from an EA 82 but they do not fit the fenderwell. Oh well closed innovation slows down development of new products. Thanks Mudrat for supporting the subaru community. I will C U at WCSS7 even though I will not be a vendor ...

FYI.....Irishman.....

You can get 3" of lift on any EA-81 Car in the rear using a Stock subaru Component.....But I'll keep that a Secret too....:)

No need to go borrow parts from a Vw or other brand of rig....

#12 spanky_pete

spanky_pete

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

Im gonna hunt every junkyard now to find the the component.... We tried the stock struts from an EA 82 but they do not fit the fenderwell. Oh well closed innovation slows down development of new products. Thanks Mudrat for supporting the subaru community. I will C U at WCSS7 even though I will not be a vendor ...

It's no big secret that you can install rear ea82 coilovers on a ea81 vehicle by fabbing up a real simple bracket. There used to be an article on it in the repair section.

#13 Shadyirishmen

Shadyirishmen

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Scappoose OR,

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:01 AM

We tried it... The only problem is that you put your coilovers at slight angle to keep them from rubbing inside the shock well. We test everything really really hard and we usually jump our vehicles at about 30 mph on the hill on our home page. After the first jump they failed.

It's no big secret that you can install rear ea82 coilovers on a ea81 vehicle by fabbing up a real simple bracket. There used to be an article on it in the repair section.

#14 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:12 AM

We tried it... The only problem is that you put your coilovers at slight angle to keep them from rubbing inside the shock well. We test everything really really hard and we usually jump our vehicles at about 30 mph on the hill on our home page. After the first jump they failed.

Try beating the metal out of the way to make room. Instead of putting them at the angle you describe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users