Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trans fluid coming out the bell housing

I have a 92 Legacy AWD wagon Auto that the Trans fluid is coming out the bell housing. Is there a seal or plug that may have gone bad?

I also have access to a 95 Impreza AWC Auto trans, I know it will bolt up to the 2.2, but will it swap in as far as the rest of the installation goes?

Thanks

Looks like the bottom. My son looked at it and said the fluid was running out in a stream. There was not enough fluid left when I looked at the car to determine much. I'll add some and then check it out a little further before we pull the trans. I was fishing for possibilities . The care has 143K on it so its time.

you need a new torque converter seal, a couple dollars and you're good to go.

on a side note, the 4EAT in an XT6 (simliar to your trans) has a ring seal as well on the torque converter shaft that i replace when pullling the torque converter. not sure if yours has one of these ring seals but keep an eye out for it when you pull the TC.

Is the ring seal on the aft end of the Oil pump drive shaft. I could not tell if it was an oring that cracked or a split seal (like a piston ring). I hope it goes back together easy! Lots of bad stories on the board.

Thanks, Larry