Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what might be the problem with my 1998 Forester. The clutch pedal sticks to the floor and when I apply any kind of pressure to the clutch pedal it squeals. Some times it is hard to shift, but it is not slipping at all. I just don't want to spend tons of money bringing it somewhere if its a quick backyard fix.

I had a problem with my '98 Outback 2.5 clutch sticking to the floor. I could pull it up with my toe, but eventually that didn't even work. I replaced my master and slave cylinders and that did the trick. I'm almost certain it was my slave cylinder, but for the few dollars to replace the master, it was worth it. I think the total repair time was 2 hours with a Haynes manual and a total cost of $130? for the 2 parts and brake fluid. I'm not sure it that's your problem, but compress your slave cylinder, near the starter I think, and notice if the piston travels well for you. If not, I'd think about that first. Good luck with this.

I had a problem with my '98 Outback 2.5 clutch sticking to the floor. I could pull it up with my toe, but eventually that didn't even work. I replaced my master and slave cylinders and that did the trick. I'm almost certain it was my slave cylinder, but for the few dollars to replace the master, it was worth it. I think the total repair time was 2 hours with a Haynes manual and a total cost of $130? for the 2 parts and brake fluid. I'm not sure it that's your problem, but compress your slave cylinder, near the starter I think, and notice if the piston travels well for you. If not, I'd think about that first. Good luck with this.

thanks for the info. I have been asking quite a few people and you're the 3rd one to say this. I will have to look more into it. thanks.