Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The perfect centre diff (in theory)

I my daily course of daydreaming at work

i was thinking about the centre diff of a 4wd and realised that wouldn't it be good to have prefect 50 50 split with perfect 100% power to all 4 wheels.

I have a soloution!

Ever heard of a variable gear ratio, i think its like a cone shaped gear that a second gear slides along to provide variable ratio, and there are tractors that have IVT (infinitely variable transmission)

Now my idea is to have this variable ratio in the centre diff that is coupled to the steering, and thus alter the centre ratio to prevent binding on corners ect. but keep 100% of the power to the wheels

I know this prob not feesable but its an idea.

Gannon

the evo 8s have something similar as well. if you really truely want to split the power so all the wheels had an even share, get lockers. itll drive like a pick up truck though. front and rear LSDs and a 50/50 center diff would probably be as close as you can get without lockers to evenly split up the torque.

there is a guy who modified his 4EAT and built his own controller for it. he calls it a paddle shifter so he can adjust the shift points or shift manually. he can dial in power transfer and lock up the transfer clutches as well.

some soob manual trans do have 50/50 split to the front and rear. off road, lock the diff. on road, don't lock it. what more do you want from the trans? just a steering sensitive transmission? you could probably use a steering sensor (or a generic sensor/switch) from an XT6 and modify the output to control the locking and unlocking of the center diff if you really wanted to. that would be much easier and cheaper than replacing gears in the transmission.

i didnt say it was feesable or even worth the trouble.

It was just a theory i came up with while daydreaming

the basic idea was a centre transfer that actually changed its ratio proportional to the steering. therefore on a corner, the front drive is spinning faster than the rear (which is what happens in a dif) but instead of the pressure on the drive shaft forcing a differnce of touque in the diff,.. the steering angle will change the actuall gear ratio and provide positive power to 100% of the driveline

But nevermind, it was only a thought, never intended to be considered practical:drunk: