Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

anyone using an aluminum crank pulley (2.2 l)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:43 AM

anyone install an aluminum crank pulley on their 2.2? didn't find anything in a search, surely someone has tried these out. see them all over ebay, but i don't want one that's underdriven.

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,602 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:26 AM

Yeah I have an aluminum stock sized crank pulley.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:49 PM

the one on your website is underdriven (smaller than stock size). did you experience any low charging, power steering or a/c issues with the smaller pulley? the smaller crank pulley reduces the rpm's of these associated pulleys.

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,602 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:35 PM

I've since replaced the underdriven one with a stock sized one. It's an N1 pulley
http://www.imprezars...leys.htm#pulley

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:02 AM

why did you go from the underdriven pulley to a stock sized one?

#6 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,602 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:05 AM

I put a HO alternator in my car. The HO alternator does not make as much amperage at lower rpms compared to the stock alternator, so I wanted to eliminate any light dimming issues. I also purchased a smaller diameter alternator pulley to over drive the alternator.

When I first purchased the unorthodox underdrive pulley, I didn't have any light dimming issues. However as the alternator aged, I did notice it a little bit.

#7 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:09 PM

Not what your questions asks, but I have a lightweight stock sized pulley on my 97 OB (2.5L auto).

Effects?

Negative - Bit more engine rocking. It caused a car vibration at times when sitting at a stop light. Not bad, but enough to bother me. Shortly after, I had the newer liquid filled engine mounts put in. (Other work was being done.) Solved that problem.

Positive - Just a "hint" quicker engine acceleration. It was noticable for the first few take offs from stop lights. But then, I was expecting it too, so it might have been a placebo effect. :lol: Could I tell the difference in a blind test, repeatedly? I rather doubt it.

Commuter

#8 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:39 PM

thanks for the feedback all.

i like solid pulleys better than harmonic balancers as the rubber ring can fail and i hate failure points. i'll take the minor vibrations. i'm hoping a PRO ECM pulley is well balanced. i know a few others running PRO ECM pulleys on other soobs and never heard them mention vibration issues.

#9 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:04 PM

i know a few others running PRO ECM pulleys on other soobs and never heard them mention vibration issues.

Just to be clear, it was not very pronounced, but noticable. It would happen about 75 or 80% of the time. Just a gentle rocking (when at a stop). It seemed that a resonance was actually happening (between engine and car body). If I would just touch the gas pedal to change the rpms even slightly, it would go away. I think the odds of it happening for someone else is slim. Me... I always get stuff like that!

Commuter

#10 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

wouldn't surprise me if that was common. doubt i'll notice though, all my other soobs are XT6's so they make any variety of vibrations/noises depending which one i drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users