Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it recommended to put the FWD fuse in for commmon driving or will it destroy your tranny? If it works ok, i would rather have FWD for the summers and AWD for the winters. Can someone help me with this dillemma? Thanx

why wouldyou buy an allwheeldrive car if you only want it during the winter? I hate to be mean, but you might as well have bought a 1992 ford explorer with electronic-button-controlled 4x4 for all of your "I only need two tires spinning at a time" needs

*edit - I am in no way condoning the use of a ford explorer as transportation

no...if you do a search you'll find this is not a good plan at all. It will save you little or nothing on gas, and will most likley cost you a lot in terms of replaceing the clutch pack in the transmission. The AWD will only help the handeling of the car so just let it do its thing. Do remember if you ever have to use the spare tire or any tire that doesn't match the other 3 use the fuse but get four matching tires as quickly as possible.

DO NOT USE THE FUSE!!!! unless of course you absolutely have to, it is there for emergencies only, not for saving $200 in gas over the summer for the price of a $700 transmission or rebuild. not a good ideal, if you really want that kind of control over your car's power-to-wheel- delivery, go oldschool baby!!!!!

~Josh~

you won't save any gas. all the internal transmission components and extra weight are still there so installing the fuse won't do anything. i guess theoretically you might save 0.000003 gallons per tank of gas, but you won't realize any benefits. i've driven in FWD mode for a long time with no noticeable difference. (i know what i'm doing, i didn't just stick a fuse in it).

get a manual transmission soob with diff lock and you can run in FWD mode if you wanted to.

Huck369 had an Outback I think that he ran the FWD fuse in for a whole year or something like that, just for the sake of experimentation. He said it worked fine the whole time, even after he took it out.

My guess is running in FWD would unevenly wear the tires unless they were rotated frequently, this would be a problem when returning to AWD. Rain & gravel don't go away in summer, still worth having traction when needed.