Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off road but not really!

We had a horrendous terrential downpour today, and living a (almost) sea level when it rains it floods fast. In some places the water was probably at the bottom of the doors in my 05 Legacy GT. Anyway...

Im driving through this flood like its everyday (actually going over the speed limit) and passing these lifted 4x4s and all the other cars like they are standing still and while all this never once did I lose any traction what so ever! It was Awsome!!! I felt like Peter Solberg racing through the rivers with giant waves of water screaming out from under my wheels!

subaru-mexico-versj_569008h.jpg

DONT MESS WITH THE ROO!!!:banana:

I hope this suffices as minor justification to adding it to the offroad forum although it was not really offroad.

It's not traction you need to be worrying about when you are fording a deep puddle, it's sucking water into your motor you need to avoid! Going fast through deep water pushes a large swell of water up into the front of your vehicle, and if it's deep enough, or you are going fast enough the water could get into your air intake. Once this happens you are almost certain to destroy your engine as water CANNOT be compressed and once in there will damage your pistons, connecting rods, valves, etc.

Seriously, you could total your motor this way, so please take it slow through the puddles tyo avoid sucking it in. It would be a good idea to go out and see where your intake is so you know how far you can go...

Just my 2 cents, trying to save you some pain!

Trentski

98 Subaru Forester