Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Glovebox Latch

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:12 PM

I didn't know where to post this, but here goes. Has anyone tried to "strengthen" the glovebox latch a Brat? I ask this because I picked up 2 marine style cupholders and they attach with 4 very small screws to a small plastic plate (Size of a quarter) I was thinking of putting 2 of them on the glovebox door, but I don't think it'd be strong enough to hold 2 drinks in place. I don't know how I would strengthen the latch, but maybe a stronger one from a newer car might work. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:01 AM

I have always found my glove box latch way strong!

If your worried about it popping open under the extra weight of some cups,

Try locking it? I'd think you'd be ok with the original latch?

Good Luck,
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer--complete with glove box. :eek:
01 Forester--of course it has one too.

#3 diluded000

diluded000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Larimer County

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:35 AM

I replaced the catch under the dash on my '85 wagon to get the glove compartment door working better. I am guessing here, but it seems like the two things that work to hold the catch closed are the spring inside the assembly on the door, and the fit of the pins in the catch. So if your pins are rounded on the ends, or the catch is wearing, it might make it easier for it to pop open. You might be able to file the ends of the pins down to make a sharper transition away from the catch, but this would wear on the catch. Or you might be able to drill or file inside the catch to increase the contact area between the pins and the catch. I think they are riveted together, but you might be able to get the latch spring apart and strech the spring out a little to get more pressure on that. I woulnd't try this without a spare. If you sent me one of those padded envelopes with a couple bucks postage on it, you can have my extra catch from an '85. PM me if you want to.

- James B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users