Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 5spd Wandering Shifter Issue

Ran out earlier today to take a look at a '96 OBW with a 5spd in it, cheap. Body's ok, rest of the car is good, that EJ22 runs like a champ. Problem was the tranny...

1. Whenever the car's accelerating (off the clutch & on the gas), there's a bit of a background grinding noise. Let off the gas, and it disappears. Back on the gas, and it reappears.
  2. When you shift into third, let off the clutch, and back on the gas, the shifter itself forces itself back into your hand, hard.
  3. Shift into fourth, let off the clutch, and accelerate: No problems. Lay off the gas in fourth gear, and it occasionally jumps out of fourth, grinding gears. It'll stay in fourth 'long as you're holding the shifter in fourth.
  4. There seems to be a lot of travel in the shifter period, accelerating & decelerating. Lay onto the gas, and the shifter moves a considerable distance.

It's got 161k on the odometer... but my old Loyale (232k, if I remember right) had less slop in the shifter than this OBW has. The dealer's only asking $2750 for it, so he's not concerned with getting anything repaired on it, even with me mentioning the possibility of raising the asking price to get it repaired first.

He had had the clutch swapped out after he had picked the car up, which may or may not be a cause. Seemed to me like the tranny mounts were loose/worn, or the clutch may have been misaligned (just tossing out ideas). The rest of the car's in good condition, so if this something easy, I'd like to entertain the idea of picking it up. Any thoughts?

a little searching can find transmissions in the 250-500 range (or even much cheaper if you're patient and keep the eyes open). but someone might pipe up here with an easier fix.

I got my transmission from the midwest for $700 plus $200 for shipping and 1yr warranty cost $400 to get it installed, it was for an outback sport, but still. search in the midwest, it just costs less...

hth