Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to for td04 and a spider manifold on ea82t?

eddygordouk

I see spider manifolds an all but how does that thing really work on a ea82t if its taken off an xt? can it work on turbo engines? sorry for the dumbness but i dont really know and also where can i get a spider manifold? meaning can it simply be off a regular xt? or do i need to find a turbo xt? And about the TD04, is it easy to place into a ea82T engine? it seems i would need to modifly the uppipe downpipe so it can fit, which is fine by me cuz i want to strengthen those since they seem to not like to get hot with the turbo and kill things like my old enigine. if what im thinkin is correct at least hah. How much would the td04 help increase and woul the powerband curve increase in lowend/highend or anything? spool faster? also i might as well purchase forged pistons so that they wont start to go south at high rpms but does TWE market ones for my engine? i checked but no dice? an clues to a shop that makes quite nice ones that are reliable? thanks for any inputs :grin:

since the TD04 is a bigger turbo, and your not adding displacement, your loosing it, TD04 is made for 2.0 litre motor, it will spool somewhere around 4k to 4.5k on the tach id say, i remember seeing that somewhere here......... but you will have fuel problems, not enough fuel. and you will have a fuel cut at higher than stock boost levels, somewhere around 10 psi or something, a bunch of people have done it and gotten aroung the fuel cut gremlin. do some research, its on here somewhere.

~Josh~

since the TD04 is a bigger turbo, and your not adding displacement, your loosing it, TD04 is made for 2.0 litre motor, it will spool somewhere around 4k to 4.5k on the tach id say, i remember seeing that somewhere here......... but you will have fuel problems, not enough fuel. and you will have a fuel cut at higher than stock boost levels, somewhere around 10 psi or something, a bunch of people have done it and gotten aroung the fuel cut gremlin. do some research, its on here somewhere.

~Josh~

It will hit full boost at 4-4.5k. It spools at approximately 2.0-2.5k. Fuel is only a problem if you are running higher than stock boost. And fuel cut will hit generally at lower than normal boost levels on hotwire cars becaue of the greater amount of air flowing through the system... That is, if you ave a problem with fuel cut. I have rarely had fuel cut occur in my car, maybe I'm just lucky that way.

RE: XT manifold. Depending on your car, it may require some wiring work to be done to deal with te different TPS. but the bottom line is that an MPFI in an XT ir not really different than any other EA82 MPfi. Your easiest be would be to get a spider from a turbo XT, but an NA spider will work as well with some modification. also remember to get the pitching stopper for the XT and possibly the throttle cable, as the whole TB setup is different. Another thing to consider is that you will no longer be able to see your flywheel timing marks with the spider intake, so you may want to use the XT type pulley system with it.

Oh, and search. There is a ton of info and even pics of what needs to be done to deal with th TD04 and spider, both individually and used together.

Here's how we did mine.. Its a TD04 UP flange welded right on top of the old flange on a stock header/UP combo

82Picture_050-med.jpg

Here is the customone Russ made with the stock flange

82113_1348s.JPG

Here you can see the one bolt that is different between the TD04 flange and the VF7 flange

82113_1345s.JPG

Does that explain it?

PS I am pretty sure I got the idea for doing mine that way from Tex.. He did it first :P

Caleb is a copy cat. I am the original!!

mmm.. maybe..

Mine actually drives;)

Legal disclaimer: 90% of my TD04 info came from Tex and his pics and posts. Any crap I sling his direction is all in fun and in no way reflects my position nor the official position of the USMB.:D

well it seems the manifold would be quite a pain, esp since i live in cali and id be sooo much fun to work with the smog stuff. im liking the vf11 like subarujunkie and am wondering how much more it will help out? im gettin a new used engine so the vf11 will have to wait but i want to run that with xt6 flywheel and clutch kit, seems it could add a bit o fun :brow:

• 5 weeks later...

smog worries? IF your gonna do a spider swap then here's the simple factor that caleb was tossing your way....

If you have an 87 vehicle then the wiring will plug n play.. if your car is an 88 or newer then its fun with but-connectors or wire splicing funn at the two main connectors.

yes there are a few other issues with wires and timing and belts.... and I'm gonna get slapped for this i'll bet but, anywho - here goes....

I'm wanting to sit the spider setup on the block but i'm thinking i can keep the v-belt pullies for now as the A/C system is chargered and presumably still cooling when engine is put in. Instead of going to the serpintine system and having the A/C system gone thru and all that.....

afterall i still have the skin-mod's to do too stilll.... (yeah i can hear both Caleb and Mike's clan wndering when I'll be back to tejas.) I'm beginning to feel a tinge of guilt.. can ya believe that?