Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another new Gen, need diagnostic help

I just picked up a 97 OBW EJ2.5 141K on the clock. Looks nice runs good but as soon as it sits at an idle for a couple of minutes the temp goes to the top!!! Funny thing, as soon as I start to go it cools right back down. Can some one tell me what this is??? (please don't say head gasket). Tim

Overheating because of headgasket failure usually takes a while, before the car can overheat, it has to push the antifreeze out of the engine and into the radiator and then out of the radiator and then into the overflow bottle. So is there antifreeze coming out of the overflow bottle or spewing out of the radiator?

Really is sounds like a stuck thermostat or a air bubble in the system. Replace the thermostat, take the upper radiator hose off of the radiator and fill the motor block through the upper radiator hose, after that stick the hose back on and then fill the radiator. You then need to test drive the car around the block and if that is ok, take it for a freeway drive, come back and look for air bubbles in the overflow bottle.

Check the fans but they take a while before they will let an engine overheat.

Sorry, Tim, it doesn't sound like a thermostat. It sounds like classic head gaskets. Try sucking some of the overflow out and look at the sides of the reservoir. They'll likely be gunky from escaped combustion gasses.

Don't let your mechanic get confused and replace the radiator as happens frequently. Your radiator (and your cap and your thermostat) is probably fine.

It's a sharp looking car.

Tom

I had a similar experience last week in the Forester. :eek:

Driving on the freeway...as soon as I get off the car starts to pickup heat. Smells like antifreeze. The overflow tank is full. The gauge is going up and down in the middle to the hot zone. Fans are both going.

The problem continues until I get back on the freeway and starts again when I get off the freeway.

Usually the gauge just stays on the first mark and doesnt' move...

I'm puzzled?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester