Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 impreza electrical trouble, ej22 swap fwd 5spd

my buddy put an ej22 in place of an ej 18 in his 93 impreza fwd 5spd. he used the 1.8 intake as the electrical connections were different on the body as the ones on the 2.2 intake

these electrical problems arose after the swap, after the motor ran, so i am thinking the problem is unrelated to the swap, since the car harness is seeing its original intake, no extra loads or different resistances

the way the car acts is with one of the plugs disconnected from the motor, the car acts like its on when its off and vice versa, such as headlights coming on in the acc with the plug connected, and normal without it connected. i think there is a short from ign to accessory or something weird like that, voltage draw of fthe battery with the key off

the impreza has different shaped connectors for the motor but i dont know if the wires are different than say a legacy. but here is a list of the wire with the voltages key on and key off. he doesnt have very good schematic and has no reference for what fuse is what, here is also a list of the fuses and their volts key on or off

http://www.economysuperstar.com/trashwagon/imprezavolts.htm

but he didnt do any cutting and splicing? because basically all he did was.......not much..... just throw the ej22 block and heads underneath the ej18 intake and wiring, should work just fine. clearly not the case. i havent got a clue form the details you gave me..........gimme some time to think on it.....or wait for legacy777 to chime in.

~Josh~

yeah i took this information over the phone, 300 miles away i have no opportunity to look aththe car. he doenst have ready nternet access and ajunk chiltons book for reference. he is electrically adept but this is going to take him to school on trouble shooting.

anyway the voltage numbers look as if something in the ign is cross shorted and things that should be live arent and vice versa. this happened the next day after completing the swap, and its a first year impreza, the motor bottom end is from a 91 legacy, but the alternator and intake is original to the impreza

the one variable is things are different with the engine harness unplugged or plugged in, its weird the way it was described to me. nothing of the wiring harness has been changed its all iintact in its original stock form

yeah i took this information over the phone, 300 miles away i have no opportunity to look aththe car. he doenst have ready nternet access and ajunk chiltons book for reference. he is electrically adept but this is going to take him to school on trouble shooting.

anyway the voltage numbers look as if something in the ign is cross shorted and things that should be live arent and vice versa. this happened the next day after completing the swap, and its a first year impreza, the motor bottom end is from a 91 legacy, but the alternator and intake is original to the impreza

the one variable is things are different with the engine harness unplugged or plugged in, its weird the way it was described to me. nothing of the wiring harness has been changed its all iintact in its original stock form

also, would anyone know which fuse is fir what. my buddy does not have the fuse panel cover for the fuses. the fuses in the tables are listed from top left to right across, then the next row, then the next row. knowing what fuse is what would really help

update: accessories(heter fan, wipers, head lights) work with the key off when the harness is plugged in. fuel pump does not come on. the accessories work like normal with the key on and turn off with thekey when the harness is unplugged

when the harness is un plugged the fuel pump rund continuouslyy regardless of key position even when off

last nigt he disconnected the neg batt cable for the night. the next morning he connected it, and no ambient lights on the dash. turned the key to RUN, and back to off, and the dash lights are on

when the harness is unplugged the check engine light stays on continuously with the key off. when key is in run pos airbag light comes on like normal.

with harness plugged in in the check engine light is off with key off. but oil pressure light and charge indicator are on with the key off

when the key is turned to the run pos, the airbag and the check engine light do not come on(with engine harness plugged in)

the only accessory that works normall regardless of the harness is the stereo. ironically, the stereo harness is the only thing that has been touched electrically(cd player install)

when the key is off, and the engine harness is plugged in, it sounds like the main ign relay is turning on.

remember this information is taken over the phone by my buddy who has no 2nd hand to help

I'm not sure how relevent the voltages you show are. Voltages can backfeed through various things and give you strange readings when normal power is shut off, depending how things are wired. Make sure that the engine has been grounded properly.

the engine is grounded properly. the motor ran for a whole day, and didnt start the next day and was displaying these problems. check my last post i edited it with more simptoms added

also, the temp gauge is always pegged at hot with the key off. when the key is on, it settles where it should be. when the key is off again, it immediately shoots up to hot. this is with or without the harness plugged in

key off, when the wiring for the fuel pump/sendingunit is unplugged, the gas gauge goes to empty. when its plugged in it reads correct fuel level, with the key off

on ONE occasin today, with the engine harness unplugged, and the key off, the fattest wire to the fuel pump unit carried some 3 volts. when the key was turned on, it went to 0 volts. when the harness was plugged back in on the motor, the fuel pump had 0 volts with key on or off

all the while, the car does not run since this problem occurred

It sounds like you have a good one here MilesFox. Lets firgure this out.

First off, in post #6 you mention removing a harness. Which one are you talking about?

A lot of these symtoms sound like something has happened to the iginiton switch. Have you checked things there to make sure it is ok?

Just as a wild thought, try disconnecting the alternator to see if that changes anything. Perhaps something has failed in it and is backfeeding power to things it shouldn't.

the harness that is unplugged is the grey harness for the engine intake. with the ej22 swap, the intake harness was different so the 1.8 intake had to stay, and also the 1.8 cam sensors and stuff were swapped onto the 2.2 block

the car has its original alternator and intake. i'll tell my buddy to unplug the alternator and see if that does anything

also if you have something to refer to which fuse is what that would go a long way

I am myoss feece, the owner of the impreza in question here. if I unhook the negative cable on the battery and wait for about ten seconds and hook it up again, with the key off, all dash lights will stay off, and as soon as I turn the key to the run position and back to off the dash lights stay on untill the battery is unhooked. It seems like, when I hook the battery up then everything is fine, but as soon as I "energize" the ignition relay (by turning the key) the short occurs and the dash lights stay on regardless of key position.

with the engine harness unplugged, the check engine light will stay on regardless of the key. when turned to the run position the airbag light will come on as normal.

with the engine harness plugged in the check engine light goes off, and when turned to the run position the air bag light is M I A. However the oil pressure light and the charge indicator light will stay on all the time.

If I put my battery charger on the battery and crank it over the oil pressure light will go off as the engine builds pressure, and come on a few seconds later and the charge light will stay off when on the charger as the car "senses" the charge being put on it.

If I had to guess I would say, without the harness plugged in the car doesn't "know" The key is in the run position and won't start when cranked over.

With the harness unplugged the car "knows" if it is in the run position, but enough components on the motor are unplugged keeping it from running.

any help would be greatly appreciated. can anyone tell me what fuse goes to what, as I don't have the fuse cover to read off of.

O yeah. I have a couple of fuses that are dead (0.0volts) and the fuse is good, think I should try to jump 12v to them or am I just tryin to BURN my car to the ground???? I also have a couple of fuses that are only pulling 7v what If I jump 12v to those??? There isn't much I can do not knowing what fuse is what.

Hey MILES I will holla at you on the phone l8ter tonight to try to figure some more of this out.

thanks everyone for any help at all.

I don't have a manual for this sorry to say fellas.

You stated that the ignition stays on after power is applied and the key is turned to on and then off so it sounds like a relay is latching on somehow. Have you tried pulling the ignition relay to see if that disconnects things. I would guess it will.

I would also check to see if voltage is being backfed through the alternator by disconnecting it and then try your test again.