Ultimate Subaru Message Board

found a pretty nice awd a/t legacy w/ 122,000mi owner says it has a bad noise coming from tranny or drive line , i could not hear it run because there is no key , but owner is looking for key, could this be a bad u- joint in the drive line ? or bad tranny , owner says it will shift ok and drive but just the loud noise , can be had for 300 or cheaper , owner is just about ready to junk it

Some possibilities from an unknowing source (me):

* Check diff fluid for ATF contamination/low level

* Might be transfer clutch issues (back of tranny clutch pack and actuator

solenoid

* Might be a worn tailshaft seal area... I haven't heard if these make noise or not, but have heard that they can wear badly.

Yes, it could be a u-joint. However, I have had very good experience with Japanese u-joints, having only seen 1 vehicle in 30+years that had a problem. My Datsun has over 300K on its 6 u-joints and they are all fine.

Let us know what it sounds like when you get a chance to test drive.

I had a 91 awd a/t legacy myself and it to was making some bad noises, and I thought it was either the tranny or the rear diff. miles fox was sure it was the tranny and I was sure it was the rear diff. come to find out it was the rear diff the whole time and it eventually locked up and busted the teeth all away on the ring and/or pinion gear. double check the oil in the rear diff as this may the cause of the noise. miles was thinking the center diff, so we put a fuse under the hood to disable the awd and make it fwd, just to have the rear diff lock up and obliterate itself. good luck