Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Forester Daytime Running Lights

We've had DRL in Canada since the late 80's. I was driving well before that and I always drove with the low beams on. It was just something that I decided to do.

As pointed out, the lights are switched with the ignition on Subaru's, so you don't have to worry about leaving them on.

When it became law here, I recall reading one guys comment. "We've always had DRL's... we just use to call them low beams." ;)

You might want to try the Eaglite bulbs. You can get them from midnightmoose. I've been getting "extremely" long life from them... and I'm even using higher wattage bulbs. (Note, I wouldn't recommend that if you are going to leave your lights on all the time.)

Commuter

You could still think about getting DRL installed instead of leaving your headlights on all the time.

The advantages:

- DRL lights the high beams at a lower power, so your headlights don't wear out as quickly.

- Some insurance companies give you reduced rates if you have DRL verifiably installed (they won't if you just tell them you leave your lights on all the time).

Good luck...

I have a 95 Legacy LS and I used to drive with the lights on at all times. One day one of the headlites stopped working and I found that both plastic connectors were burned from the excess heat. The replacement cost from Subaru was about 400.00. I did a quick fix and only use the lights when needed. These lights are not running lights, they are not designed to be on all times and you do not get an insurance discount since they are not considered running lights.

The great feature is that when the key is off, the lights go off.

I have a 92 Camry with the same type of setup. I leave the lights on. I have never replaced a headlight yet. If I do, its a small price to pay for the added visibility.

I do the samething with my Forester and so far no bulb replacements;)

Glenn,

82 Hatch, transforming.....:temper:

01 Forester, jealous.........:madder:

I needed a DRL installed for a 98 Forester. I bought the Hamsar 45020 for around $40 Canadian and my mechanic installed it. He said it would not work according to the directions ( blew a fuse, or else sent out pulses) but he managed to get it to work . It does not shut off when the emergency brake is on, but it passed muster for the Canadian Federal Inspection. http://www.hamsar.com/drl.htm