Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rear main seal?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Midwst

Midwst

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Cedar Rapids

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

I have a friend with a 96 Legacy, 98K miles. Getting a clutch. Taking it to a shop. She's trying to decide, should the rear main seal be replaced even if it is not leaking? I said either way there is a risk. Replace it, maybe will start leaking. Don't replace it, maybe will start leaking later. Wanted to get other soobie lovers opinions.

#2 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

since shes already paying to have the motor pulled and clutch replaced, might as well tack on another $30 for the parts and labor to do it while its out, and make sure to check those two plastic/aluminum plates back there also, they can leak too.

~Josh~

#3 reddevil

reddevil

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Portland

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:26 AM

I would say yes.....IF.....the shop knows what they hell they are doing.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,740 posts
  • WV

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:52 AM

i'm with reddevil, i replace every rear main seal i can get to. as long as it's done right then you definitely want it done.

#5 jib

jib

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:50 AM

Yes, if only because the labor to get to it is significant and you'll be paying this labor bill already to get to the clutch.

I almost always try to replace degradable parts when they are exposed, espeically when they are hard to get to.

Jack

#6 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

I had the seal and the plate replaced when the clutch was done on advice from the board. The dealer did not change the Pilot bearing and I had to have that done later.
I am very happy with all the seals I had replaced as on a recent trip the car did not leak a drop of oil and the engine stays very clean.
I think the advice on seal replacement on this board was well earned at a high cost and if you listen to them you will be pleased with the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users