Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a friend with a 96 Legacy, 98K miles. Getting a clutch. Taking it to a shop. She's trying to decide, should the rear main seal be replaced even if it is not leaking? I said either way there is a risk. Replace it, maybe will start leaking. Don't replace it, maybe will start leaking later. Wanted to get other soobie lovers opinions.

since shes already paying to have the motor pulled and clutch replaced, might as well tack on another $30 for the parts and labor to do it while its out, and make sure to check those two plastic/aluminum plates back there also, they can leak too.

~Josh~

Yes, if only because the labor to get to it is significant and you'll be paying this labor bill already to get to the clutch.

I almost always try to replace degradable parts when they are exposed, espeically when they are hard to get to.

Jack

I had the seal and the plate replaced when the clutch was done on advice from the board. The dealer did not change the Pilot bearing and I had to have that done later.

I am very happy with all the seals I had replaced as on a recent trip the car did not leak a drop of oil and the engine stays very clean.

I think the advice on seal replacement on this board was well earned at a high cost and if you listen to them you will be pleased with the results.