Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hatch motor swap questions

Jerry DeMoss

Hi I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience putting a 1.8 Ea82 motor into the hole where the ea81 1.6 was. I am looking at converting my hatch to 5speed tranny at the same time of the motor swap. My suby is a 1986 2dr hatch. Is the 1.8 carb engine conversion worth trouble,or is the SPFI engine a better way to go. I am going to build my own intake so I can run dual carbs or a very large single.I am looking at larger than the weber 32/36. I will be running the spfi heads on the carb engine because of better port design and slightly higher compression.For that reason I am going to be building a custom intake manifold.Along with head porting of course and a custom 2'' header to a 2.5'' exhaust.Does anyone know of a company that will make high compression pistons for the ea82. I am looking for at least 10:1 to 12.5:1. Is this really worth the trouble? Am I better off sticking with the ea81 motor? Or going a different route entirely with a different motor? The last car I built was a 1988 suby 2dr hatch, I had ported the head and the intake manifold,Msd blaster coil,weber 32/36 carb, 2 1/4" exhaust. It ran really good.Anyone who has contemplated this before please help. I would like to be pointed in the right direction so I don't end up doing the same thing as someone else has had to do. :)

Theres a couple of people that have stuffed a EA82 into a EA81 body, its not that easy. If you are going to use SPFI, you will need the wiring harness and the fuel supply system.

But, if you are going to go to all this trouble, then the EJ22 swap is the way to go. Mudrat makes the tranny adapter for the swap and the engine is a better fit(barely). Use the search function, theres been lots of discussion on the swap.

Thanks for the info.I have heard many people talk about the ej22 swap and I just wanted to know if there is a diagram available of what wires go to what when I end up putting it back together. Also what year cars did the ej22 come out of? What is the stock power I can expect to get out of the ej22?

Thanks for the info.I have heard many people talk about the ej22 swap and I just wanted to know if there is a diagram available of what wires go to what when I end up putting it back together. Also what year cars did the ej22 come out of? What is the stock power I can expect to get out of the ej22?

90-94 legacy for one

the 2.2s came in both imprezas and legacys. after '97, they are interference motors, so get an earlier model than 1997. they are rated for around 140 hp (135? 137? close enough, and better than 75hp like the hatch comes with).

as far as wiring diagrams go.. i am slowly swapping an ej22 into one of my cars and I tracked down the Subaru shop manuals for my car and the donor car.

Theres a couple of people that have stuffed a EA82 into a EA81 body, its not that easy. If you are going to use SPFI, you will need the wiring harness and the fuel supply system.

theres at least 30 ea81 cars runin around with ea82s in them. i have done three myself. if i count the er27 as an ea82.

its as easy as lengthening four wires, and moving your hill holder, or eleminating it(if you stick with carb)

spfi would not be my first choice. its harder to wire in. you could find mpfi with 90 or so hp. thats the good one, its turbo ready too :brow: