Ultimate Subaru Message Board

svx tranny swap?

I completely dissagree with benebob - do it, you'll be glad you did. And damn the collector value. If I were a collector, I would rather see it with the manual anyway - much cooler, and more desireable. Also - it won't be a complete "dog" It's a 240 HP N/A engine, and the VW community uses them all the time to upgrade vanagons etc. It will be plenty fast - faster than the Auto - partly cause you have lost about 200 Lbs of weight. I wouldn't even drive one without the manual conversion.

GD

• 1 year later...
....thought MT's are always better..just a lot more expensive

"just a lot more expensive" until you don't buy a tranny cooler for your auto and it shreds itself, and you have to get a new auto, and then possibly a tranny cooler so it doesn't shred itself...... (never owned one, just my point of view..)

I've been talking to a friend of mine who is looking at doing this swap. Apparently, the later tranny's are more stout than the earlier ones whether you have a tranny cooler or not. According to him, the SVX community has sort of come to the conclusion that the 4eat is simply not a substantial enough transmission for a car with that much power and weight. Therefore, the 5- or 6-speed conversion makes some good sense.

STi 6MT with an STi rear and you're off to the races. SVX is STILL a massive car and needs to be put on a fairly stict diet, but swapping in a manual is a good start.