Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear axle woes...

so...I've had a broken rear axle for some time now, but have had some (read: alot) trouble getting the pins out, finally I broke down and bought an actual punch. before we were using a screwdriver that had been cut off (worked great, right size and everything) but I suspect that the plastic handle was soaking up some of the force. anyway, got a punch, punded out both pins in the parts car, and one on my car (inner). then I start on the outer, the last one, of course. I feels like it's going in (always bad...'feels'), but I reached around and found that it wasn't coming out the other side. well, I'll pound just a bit more, and we'll see, the punch broke off in the hole. :banghead::banghead:, but it was a pretty clean break, so I tried it on the other side, just to see if it would budge at all, and the same thing happened on the other side! :dead::dead:.

NOW WHAT!!!! can that piece of the axle (I don't know what it's called, the piece in the suspension arm/hub) out without taking off the axle? I need to have that axle in tomorrow! it'll be my first official offroad event in the new wagon, and it'll be ruined if I don't have 4WD!!!

HELP! oh yea, and thanks!!

Can you get the punch out. My friend had this problem when he put his axle in and somehow got the pin in when the holes were 180' off. We beat the crap out of it. Finally I noticed that after all the beating, the pin was basically in the middle of the stub. On both sides, so I just busted out the crowbar and did some crowbartherapy on it. Nah, I just pried the axle cup off. With the pointy end on the cup and lever'd against the diff. I assumed the cup was harder steel than the pin.

are you in Duluth now? I have another punch if you want to try and push the remains out (it's a craftsman so you can break it all you want =p). I'm not sure about taking the piece in the hub out, I have a set of FSM's now so I can look it up later today (they're up at the house, not here). did you get them loose from the diff ?

hopefully you don't end up with the problem i'm having too. one of my rear axles started clicking/rattling last week and I took a look back there and both had split inner boots =( it literally took me about 5 minutes to get the left one out but the right one is completely fused onto the hub end...the pins are all out, the axle just won't budge off the shaft.

I just went and had a look at the manual...I think you can do what you're talking about if you can get the axle off the diff (you should be able to, mine came off easily, even the one that's stuck at the hub, just had to unbolt the strut & swaybar from the arm and flex the arm down) -- it looks pretty involved compared to just taking the axle out. can you drill the pin out or something?

when you say the same thing happened on the other side, do you mean the other axle, or the other side of the pin?

I'm assuming at this point that you're not in Duluth since your parts car isn't up here, so if you want to pull the whole mess out of the hub let me know and I'll scan that part of the FSM for ya.

I just went and had a look at the manual...I think you can do what you're talking about if you can get the axle off the diff (you should be able to, mine came off easily, even the one that's stuck at the hub, just had to unbolt the strut & swaybar from the arm and flex the arm down) -- it looks pretty involved compared to just taking the axle out. can you drill the pin out or something?

when you say the same thing happened on the other side, do you mean the other axle, or the other side of the pin?

I'm assuming at this point that you're not in Duluth since your parts car isn't up here, so if you want to pull the whole mess out of the hub let me know and I'll scan that part of the FSM for ya.

i have done this it is not as hard as it looks i took mine off one time to press a bearing out its not hard unbolt everything and hit it with a hammer

i have done this it is not as hard as it looks i took mine off one time to press a bearing out its not hard unbolt everything and hit it with a hammer

You think it's possible to take that 'stub' off with the axle attached? I looked in my haynes and chilton's manuals, and found that there's a piece screwed into the suspension arm that holds the bearings in there, I fear that this will get in the way of the bearings and such on the stub, and keep it from coming out.

I will try drilling some more, and then try pulling the stub out of the parts car. and if I don't have any luck with that, I'll ready it for the drive to duluth, and maybe we can figure it out there.

enchained: we're heading up to the offroad park tomorrow, so I'll be in duluth for a while. that FSM might come in handy. I'll be in touch.

The pin only comes out one direction. Start with the 3/16 roll punch on the end that has a beveled in edge. The other end of the hole is level with the edge of the DOJ cup. Here is a rough profile shot of the hole; start at the top where it's taiperd in.

\ /

||

||

||

||

||

Go buy another punch and pound that stuff out!

Worst case is you have to drill it out. Drill from the top down and use oil to cool and lube. Again use a 3/16" diameter bit.

Bad timing man we are leaving tomarrow! :eek: I'm trying to call your parents house; you are staying there right? If not PM me a cell # or your duluth #.

TTYL