Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Rear Swaybar - Which to Use?

I'm thinking that a rear swaybar install for my brat would be a nice improvement. Can anyone give me a breakdown of which EA82 sway bars are strongest/weakest and experiences/suggestions? Anything really, I'm not familiar w/ the rear swaybars.

I really like the WhiteLine Swaybar that Edrach has on his brat - Ed's install job has set the benchmark for me. (Ed - was this an expensive setup to acquire and install?)

Anyhow, let me know what the story is!

Alright, I'm just glad I saved this for this type of moment. Behold the glory! Since only EA82 cars were avalible with rear swaybars, this is the only chart you need. Obviously the 4WD XT6 is the largest (Bigger than Edrach's) but it will create a more playful rear end. I've decided to go with the XT6 bar and all thats left to do is get it mounted and then source the Whiteline 24mm front bar, muhahahahaha!

18Subaru_Springs_Full.jpg

Try http://www.whiteline.com.au/default.asp?page=/yourcar.htm for information. I believe the p/n for my Brat was BSR-41. WJM can get you information on pricing. When I ordered mine, I was in a rush and ordered air from Australia....total cost with shipping was around $250 if I remember correctly. You might try 84SOOB who has a similar rear bar from an American manufacturer I believe. Also the rear bar from an EA82T will work but requires modification and welding on the brackets to your rear swingarms. I have one of those which I'll bring to WCSS7 along with the brackets for a prepaid order. The Whiteline bar does do the trick; my Brat corners much flatter than before and I'm not bothered with the huge understeer at rallycross any more.

I'm thinking that a rear swaybar install for my brat would be a nice improvement. Can anyone give me a breakdown of which EA82 sway bars are strongest/weakest and experiences/suggestions? Anything really, I'm not familiar w/ the rear swaybars.

I really like the WhiteLine Swaybar that Edrach has on his brat - Ed's install job has set the benchmark for me. (Ed - was this an expensive setup to acquire and install?)

Anyhow, let me know what the story is!

Thanks for the chart and input, guys. I think I'll probably be shopping at the j/y for this mod. The only thing that gets imported for my subes are them and their j/y parts. :cool: So, I think the WhiteLine is a little above me but it sounds cool. (At this point, a swaybar is a swaybar for my brat.)

I think the WhiteLine is a little above me but it sounds cool. (At this point, a swaybar is a swaybar for my brat.)
That $250 included AIR freight shipping from Oz which took all of 4 days after I ordered it. However, the cheapest way to go will be to pull a bar off of a EA82T turbo wagon and modify it to fit your car.

You'll have to ask others that question. What I do know is if you use the Turbo 'bar you'll have to trim a few inches off each end and weld the support tabs from the donor car to the swingarms of your brat. Don't know about the XT6 'bar.

Do you mean to say that a swaybar such as an XT6, as an example, would be more work and/or money to mount on the Brat as opposed to the T-Wagon swaybar?

the procedure would be the same for the XT6 bar.

I asked Ken about this a while ago, though, and he led me to decide not to use the XT6 bar as it is a huge rear sway bar for a car like the brat, which is light in the rear. A GL10 bar would be better.

if you need the rear end really tight, look into attaching a rear strut tower brace instead of using a disproportionately large rear sway bar.

I got mine from Addco (swaybars.com) based in N.C. - was about $175 (incl. shipping)with poly-urethane bushings rather than the rubber ones. The bad part, I had to wait a year to get it. For this old of a Soob they don't stock it so I had to wait for their research & development dept. to get around to making one. This was before I found out about Ken's retrofit of the EA82 bars--I would have gone with this method, way cheaper and no wait.---Brian