Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Choices of ICs for EA82T?

eddygordouk

What are the best choices for a TMIC for the EA82T? I know of the saab 900 one that works pretty okay that subarujunkie has runnin. Ive heard about the mr2 one also. Whats a decent sized one that can cool the air quite well, can be found for a decent price and can be hooked up to the engine without a large maze of hoses? The saab looks quite easy but kinda small, any inputs?

*edit*

i think ill want to run a vf11 legacy turbo in the end so thats the reason of lookin for asking about decent IC that arnt too small, otherwise id haave gone for a saab 900 already haha

Baisically, the intercooler sits where a top mount would, but no cooling air goes through it. instead, its filled with water, which is circulated by a small electric pump through a small radiator at the front of your car (in front of the main radiator).

I believe they are a better choice for lower speed driving - rallyX, around town etc. An air to air works better for high speed track racing.

Main advantage apart from that, is that you don't have to have a bonnet scoop, and you don't have to run your intake up to the front of the car.

Not much difference in difficulty of installation, you just have to mount the small radiator up the front somewhere - there is plenty of room in the old subies.

If you can find a junkyard legacy (some other cars use them as well) you should be able to get the whole set up quite cheap.

Baisically, the intercooler sits where a top mount would, but no cooling air goes through it. instead, its filled with water, which is circulated by a small electric pump through a small radiator at the front of your car (in front of the main radiator).

I believe they are a better choice for lower speed driving - rallyX, around town etc. An air to air works better for high speed track racing.

Main advantage apart from that, is that you don't have to have a bonnet scoop, and you don't have to run your intake up to the front of the car.

Not much difference in difficulty of installation, you just have to mount the small radiator up the front somewhere - there is plenty of room in the old subies.

If you can find a junkyard legacy (some other cars use them as well) you should be able to get the whole set up quite cheap.

do water to air ic's ggenerally have less reliablity since there is more that goes on with them? or can they be depended on as much as air to air?

Perhaps the pump could burn out, but i don't think you would have major problems.

True that^. Another problem is the amount of room the whole system take, which is not a lot, but more then and air to air.

Also think about this. An Air to water cooler is not a whole lot more efficiant then air to air. The water that is heated by the intercooler still needs to be cooled off through a water (or oil type) cooler.

**These are all rough guesstimations**

So say ambiant air is 72degF

A/A I/C

72F blowing through an A/A I/C could only (at max efficiency) cool the charged air to 72F.

Now, A/W I/C.

Lets start at the water cooler. Say the water temp is 72F in the system because this is the coldest the internal water temp will get due to the water only being able to be as cold as the ambiant temp from the water cooler. Now also dont forget the water resevior, if the water temp is hotter then that 72F and it mixes with the other water it will dilute the temp closer to the hotter temp. The water runs through the A/W I/C at a higher or if not equal temp as an A/A I/C.

So what do you think? Some of this info is pulled out of Corky Bell's Maximum Boost.

Either I am right or just I am reading the book bassackwards.:brow:

The most efficient IC is the one I am building, It will be announced upon completion. Sorry I know everyone in here hates long waits.

At high speed, your reasoning will hold. However, at lower speeds, with lots of off-on throttle, the water air intercooler will outperform an air to air intercooler simply because of the larger thermal mass of the cooling water.

Another point, most people running air to air coolers on their soobs use a top mount set up, which is less than ideal. With the water to air you dont have to run your intake to the front of your car, but you get the benefit of the better air supply for cooling at the front of your car.

I look forward to hearing about your set up.....

At high speed, your reasoning will hold. However, at lower speeds, with lots of off-on throttle, the water air intercooler will outperform an air to air intercooler simply because of the larger thermal mass of the cooling water.

Another point, most people running air to air coolers on their soobs use a top mount set up, which is less than ideal. With the water to air you dont have to run your intake to the front of your car, but you get the benefit of the better air supply for cooling at the front of your car.

I look forward to hearing about your set up.....

Very much agreed! Like I was saying in normal case situations... or did I say that? If you have no plans of going to a FMIC and stay with the TMIC they yes that is your best option.

'

'

How bad was the parasitic loss from the fans?

'

'

'

'

Hint Hint ever heard of freon?

DAMB IT!!!! As much as I want to tell every one what I am doing I want to keep it a secret/on the down low, that and I dont want to jinks myself.

I am short 1 part to complete the major componants and then I have to plumb the system and pray to GOD! But in reality it still will only be experimantal until the whole car is finished. I will be making a full write up of the setup with beautiful color pictures for the little children to follow.:lol:

This just might be what I have been looking for. If you still have it, what are the dinemsions (L x H x W)? Also, what are the inlet and outlet sizes? Finally, what are you asking for it?

Subpilot

I have one of these I might be willing to give up if the price is right. It would work perfect with very little tubing. Its from a Dodge Sprit. Its nice and big but compact at the same time .... if thats even possible?!?!

Dodge%20Daytona%20(431x171x89%20slang%2070%20en%2057)2.jpg