Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Datsun LSD conversion for Gen 1???

i was reading the article on in one of the archives on the board in a hunting magazine or something...

they did a article on the gen 1 brat... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/brats/mags-acc/brat-articles/huntingwheels2.jpg

in the second columb about half way down they said that it was easy to convert the diff so it has LSD... i think... its kinda late and i'm really tired... i might be reading it wrong... or i'm dreaming it... i unno yet...

anyway! i am on a random goose chase with this thing or has somebody done it and been keeping it quiet??? if so SPEAK UP MAN!(or woman...)

is there some other way to get LSD for my gen 1?

thanks!

A "Datsun" LSD is not a practical way to go, as NISMO is pretty much the only source (and wants more than your Brat's market value for it :rolleyes: ), and we Datsun people have been scoopng up Subaru LSDs for decades. So...

... if you found an LSD under a Datsun it was probably once under another Subaru.

ballitch

you'd have to sell a kidney

no worries i got 2... know anybody in the market???:lol:

so i should get one from a suby... thanks for the clarification... its going on my list of things to get!

ummmmm some of you guys are forgetting the guys with the u-joint halfshafts........ cause I don't really know if it will work till I get my hands on one and see if it will mate up to those axles

cause they have shafts that go into the diff and bolt in the center instead of the stub axles being bolted up internaly and sticking out for a doj to slip into and have a pin through

um like,show me a gen i brat that has them and um like I'll be amazed.He asked about a gen i Brat,which I've never seen the old style axles on.

the double whammy u-joint axles are on wagons only up to May of '78.According to my FPM the Brat's got the new style which we are ummm,all familiar with.

Jason,you're a trip,but I'll take you on my team regardless...:lol:

Cheers

um like,show me a gen i brat that has them and um like I'll be amazed.He asked about a gen i Brat,which I've never seen the old style axles on.

the double whammy u-joint axles are on wagons only up to May of '78.According to my FPM the Brat's got the new style which we are ummm,all familiar with.

Jason,you're a trip,but I'll take you on my team regardless...:lol:

Cheers

lol moose lol I was meaning all gen 1's and was figuring that everyone was talking about that

and northwet that's why I am going to experiment and see if it is possible for the newer lsd to be able to match up for splines and stuff to the yokes for those shafts

...and northwet that's why I am going to experiment and see if it is possible for the newer lsd to be able to match up for splines and stuff to the yokes for those shafts

I have a Datsun R160, bolt-on U-joint flanges, sitting on the ground here. It growls badly (suspected side bearings, replaced it with an R180 :brow: ), but useful for experimenting.

128Late_70_s_rear_axles-med.jpg

Here's what we're dealing with.Just so we can all see the same animals.

I have this same diagram, but with a Revised Feb 15, 1980 date on it. :)

it's out of the final 1400/1600 parts catalog, and it shows only 1 rear diff assembly for both wagon and brat, but as stated before the wagon had the u-joint axles up to May '78.

as far as running a LSD in a Gen1, it should work fine. the side stubs still have the same spline count for the rear axles (non-u-joint) as the Gen2/Gen3 rear diffs. so just do the LSD conversion as outlines in the USRM, and then bolt on the mount brackets for the Gen1 (if different) (the Gen2/Gen3 mounts are the same) and install the newer diff with LSD.

I am running a Gen1 diff in my lifted '82 Brat....

hey i had no idea it used u-joints in the rear... partly because i have never had to do any work on the rear yet...

would it be smart to upgrade the axles to CV's like in the newer gen vihicles??? they ARE CV's in the gen 2's right?:-\ you know... for better travel and what not???

now all i need to do is find me an LSD for cheap!:lol:

bajavwnsoobnut

all brats have cv's in the rear

that makes me happy...:)

i'm sure its been said on a different thread but ya... i'll look but since i'm here typing... is it easier to put the LSD part into my open diff (to get the 3.9 gears) or to put the parts from my open diff into the LSD to get the gearing???

thanks!

i'm sure its been said on a different thread but ya... i'll look but since i'm here typing... is it easier to put the LSD part into my open diff (to get the 3.9 gears) or to put the parts from my open diff into the LSD to get the gearing???

thanks!

yes....

I still have the original 35 year-old, 320k u-joints on my Datsun. As fas as I can tell, they and the sliding-spline axles are as good as the day they were made. For road use at least, I would rather have the u-joints. Sure beats replacing axles because of torn boots.

It does remind me of a story about trying to find axles that would survive racing a lowered Datsun. They decided that the original u-joints couldn't handle the angularity, so they swapped on a set of later-model CV-axles. Took it out on the track for awhile and the boots exploded... the joints heated up too much and the air pressure had no where to go. (They eventually went back to a u-joint axle from a later-model that didn't flange-mount at the diff, giving another 2 inches of axle length between joints.)

It does remind me of a story about trying to find axles that would survive racing a lowered Datsun. They decided that the original u-joints couldn't handle the angularity, so they swapped on a set of later-model CV-axles. Took it out on the track for awhile and the boots exploded... the joints heated up too much and the air pressure had no where to go. (They eventually went back to a u-joint axle from a later-model that didn't flange-mount at the diff, giving another 2 inches of axle length between joints.)

my buddy owns a datsun 510... he's got a super sweet L20B engine with high compression everything and two huge weber carbs on it... he has CV's(i'm posative because i helped him put them in)... this is a 72 so it must have had u-joints to start off with... and his car is lowered... its on cardomain.com... he calls it "bobby the black 510"

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832882/1

its pretty nice...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, if you absolutely have got to have a Gen 1 Z-car (and you should, I've owned five), get the '72 240. Still had the Hitachi-licensed non-smog SU carbs, and they'd moved the rear diff forward some 2" to counteract allthe issues.

For what it's worth: The BMW differential that came in the e30 body cars-- the late-seventies-through-'91 325 series cars was, at least on the -iX AWD, the -iS, and the -eS cars, about a 30% lockup LSD. I don't know how the track numbers stack up, but with (say) 1985 325eS cars going for well under a thousand bucks and God's own amount of the cars in Northeast junkyards, it might be worth a look.