Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You know I keep wondering why I bought a 98 Forester. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Subarus, but this Forester has given me nothing but problems. I have had to replace all struts, front brake pads and rotors, and now having problems with the clutch. Not sure what it is but it sticks to the floor and I have to pull it up with my foot. Oh well...but I still want to keep it, or maybe I should just trade it in. Maybe I just got lucky and bought this Forester and nothing has ever been replaced on it.

how many miles are on it. i foind with used cars the ones with higer mileage have seen their work done while ones with lower mileage will be needing work

may as well have the work done as the car is now needing the work for the first time. do the clutch first as it will be the most expensive or most important, then brakes, then clutch. or do brakes first then clutch

anyway how do you know if you trade it in if the car you get will be needing all that work too? stick to the subaru

it has about 130k on it. I love my car, its just killing me with all the work that needs to be done. I wanted to make it pretty, but instead have to fix other issues. I have already done the brakes. have the struts sitting in the garage out back, have already done the brakes. I am not sure exactly what is wrong with the clutch, its not alipping, someone mentioned the slave or master cylindar. I do know that I am definitely sticking to the Subaru. I have only owned one other Subaru, a 93 Loyale, and I loved it. I sold it and it is still going on almost 200k.

how many miles are on it. i foind with used cars the ones with higer mileage have seen their work done while ones with lower mileage will be needing work

may as well have the work done as the car is now needing the work for the first time. do the clutch first as it will be the most expensive or most important, then brakes, then clutch. or do brakes first then clutch

anyway how do you know if you trade it in if the car you get will be needing all that work too? stick to the subaru

i think everyone has to replace their struts sometime after they pass 100k miles. It's just a part that goes bad... subaru says you should change them ever 60k :slobber:

Brakes are just normal mainanaice i guess, and the clutch... i've got an auto, can't help you there!

with it at that mileage you are doing OK. Those items should last a bit more mileage but this is not too bad. My Forester did the same and all you need is a new clutch master cyl or slave. Bleeding it might get by for a while.

Yeah, struts at 130K is not bad at all. My '88 VW Golf has been averaging maybe 70K to 80K per set of fronts (shorter life when I lived in a wintry climate, although driving to the Black Rock Desert in Nevada has also seemed to shorten their lives). And brakes--when you need them, you need them. I'll bet they've been done at least once before on your vehicle. Sometimes things come up like that at about the same time.