Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anaerobic sealant - what is it anyway?

anyone know what the deal is with this stuff? it's the suggested sealant to use on the cam carrier housings of XT6's and EA82's. i've noticed this stuff doesn't really seem to *dry* like other sealants. like you'll put it on and a few days later the little that seeps out is still wet i think. looked like it anyway. i always use the associated activator spray with it as well. just curious what the deal is behind this stuff. i've never taken any apart yet that i've put this stuff on (guess that's a good sign so far!), so i'm curious if it dries in the normal sense? i wonder if "anaerobic* means it doesn't dry with air or something.

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with this stuff. I am just regurgitating (eeewww!!!) what others have said.

The "anaerobic" means it will not cure in the presence of air. Anything that squeezes out is supposed to wash/wipe away without creating any clogging globs. The joints should be properly cured.

anaerobic means it will cure without the presence of air. just like bacteria in the ocean vents are anaerobic as they dont need oxygen. just like when you work out too hard you get the "burn" that is anaerobic metabolism going on more so than the oxygen in the body can keep up to