Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C and engine pull?

take the battery out to have room. instead of unbolting the compressir from the bracket, unbolt the bracket and compressor form the motor as an assembly

remove the alternator and swing it out the way. under the alternator there is a 12mm bolt thru to the motor. on the back of the bracket there is a 14mm bolt thru to the intake

under the bracket, on the far left, loosen the bolt but it doesnt have to come out. remove the belt pulley by removbing bot the 12mm bolt and the long hex part. thread the hex part back in on its stud once you pull the pulley off.

behind the pulley is a long 14mm hex bolt, remove it. after all this the whole unit will swing out of the way to pull the motor

i don't mean to be rude but my haynes manual say you need to have the ac drain. but i'm kind of new to this, and i'm getting ready to pull my motor. so if i didn't have to drain or have a pro do it, all the better.

... instead of unbolting the compressir from the bracket, unbolt the bracket and compressor form the motor as an assembly...

I totally agree.

I should have clarified my post, saying that I unbolt the compressor and bracket as an assembly.

Ahhhh... I remember when I read the Chiltons books too... seemed like yesterday... oh it was... did my first eng. pull yesterday!!

As Fox & others said, do not drain, just roll out of way!

So cool to work nxt to someone who knows!

As with Power Stearing, etc

Do remove radiator... ooops...

No. Didn't get the Loyale yet. Just wanted to know because the Legacy requires a/c drain. Not sure theres any way around that on Legacy. Since I will probably want to pull the engine on Loyale at some point, wanted to know how what was invovled. Since engines are my primary interst, always like to know more about them...and how to remove them.